Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Set Analysis to compare periods of time

[View:http://community.qlik.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.02.89.41/Set-Analysis-to-compare-time-periods.qvw]

Hi Guys,

Please take a look at the qvw attached.

I have two set of field to select a time period (year, quarter, month).

The first one, being the current selections for the whole model.

The second one, should help me to compare data from different time periods in the table.

For example,

Get the Qty and Turnover for Jan-2011 compare to Qty and Turnover Mar-2010.

where DateKey is the date for current selection, and DateKey2 is the selections to compare the second set.

I though than I can use set analysis in the columns of the second set (last two columns in the table), using ...{ <DateKey = { P(DateKey2) }>}..

But that is not possible because both datekey fields has different selections: Jan-2011 and Mar-2010.

How can I work it around?

Thanks in advance,

Aldo.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Aldo, I think you would only have to clear the current selections to get the outcome you are expecting, like this:

=Sum( {<DateKey = P(DateKey2),Month=, Quarter=,Year=, Last3Years=, YM=>} Invoices.TQuant)

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Aldo, I think you would only have to clear the current selections to get the outcome you are expecting, like this:

=Sum( {<DateKey = P(DateKey2),Month=, Quarter=,Year=, Last3Years=, YM=>} Invoices.TQuant)

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ivan, thanks for answering.

I'll try it and let you know.

What's the meaning of

Month=, Quarter=,Year=, Last3Years=, YM=>} ?

Thanks,

Aldo.

Not applicable
Author

You are cleaning the user selections up. For instance, if the user selected year 2011, you can artificially clear that selection within the set analysis by doing:

sum({$<Year =>}1)

In this particular situation it is safer to clear every current calendar selection, so that it will not mess with the comparision calendar dates.

Regards

llauses243
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Aldo,

You are near to solution, this is my offer ...

Good luck, Luis

Not applicable
Author

Hi llauses, I think that by using the "1" qualifier within the set analysis you are overlimitating the power of the user to make selections, by doing that you are forcing to evaluate the expression with the whole set of data disregarding user selections, meaning that if the user selects a family or anything else he will always see the same result. I guess, after all, it all depends on the business requirement.

Regards