Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Set analysis of a variable containing functions with other set analysis

Hi,

My first community post. Hope you can help me. I've received enourmous help from here merely by Googling. Great community!

My problem

I want to create a set analysis of a variable containing functions that includes other set analysis.

Example

I have a defined variable: that is vMySpecialMargin = sum({$<Year={2014}>} Sales) / sum({$<Year={2010}>} Costs)

I want to do this in a chart expression: ={$<BusinessUnit={SecretServices}>} $(vMySpecialMargin)

That gives me nothing. It doesn't work.

What I've already tried in the chart expression that doesn't work

={$<BusinessUnit={SecretServices}>} $(vMySpecialMargin)

=Sum({$<BusinessUnit={SecretServices}>} $(vMySpecialMargin))     //The sum would be redundant, but i thought it might've helped with the set analysis.

Is it possible to do this?

I use the function in the variable on a lot of places and when I need to tweek it it takes a lot of time as it is now. If I could put it in one common place for the charts and just change a customize a few set analysis code snippets once in each chart it would save me a lot of time and effort.

Of course my example is for silly data but it explains my problem.

Kind regards

Message was edited by: Rasmus Toivonen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tresesco
MVP
MVP

I don't like 'not possible'. You can do that with multiple variables. Like:

Var1 ='sum({$<Year={2014}'

Var2 ='>} Sales)'

Var3 =' / sum({$<Year={2010}'

Var4 ='>} Costs)'

Now your expressions would be like:

=$(Var1) & ' ,BusinessUnit={SecretServices}' & $(Var2) & $(Var3) &  ' ,BusinessUnit={SecretServices}' & $(Var4)

Note: Be careful of the commas.

and similarly for other expressions.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
alexandros17
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

This is what you need:

sum({$<Year={2014}, BusinessUnit={'SecretServices'}>} Sales) / sum({$<Year={2010}, BusinessUnit={'SecretServices'}>} Costs)

Let me know

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the super quick answer!

But... that is exactly the function I have in my expression now (but much more complex and with more set analysises.).

I wanted to lift out parts of the function into a variable and just change a part of the set analysis for each time I re-use the function/expression that I've moved to the variable.

I want to do this:

Chart 1: ={$<BusinessUnit={SecretServices}>} $(vMySpecialMarginFunction)

Chart 2: ={$<BusinessUnit={NavySeal}>} $(vMySpecialMarginFunction)

Chart 3: ={$<BusinessUnit={McRonald}>} $(vMySpecialMarginFunction)

where $(vMySpecialMarginFunction) also has  its own set analysis in its definition.

alexandros17
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Unfortunately the syntax is wrong, you have to insert the condition for BusinessUnit in $(vMySpecialMarginFunction)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

So basically it is not possible to do this?

alexandros17
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It is possible but not in that way

With the sysntax I gav eyou try to substitute the businessUnit section with a variable ...

sum({$<Year={2014}, BusinessUnit={$(varValue)}>} Sales) / sum({$<Year={2010}, BusinessUnit={{$(varValue)}}>} Costs)

tresesco
MVP
MVP

I don't like 'not possible'. You can do that with multiple variables. Like:

Var1 ='sum({$<Year={2014}'

Var2 ='>} Sales)'

Var3 =' / sum({$<Year={2010}'

Var4 ='>} Costs)'

Now your expressions would be like:

=$(Var1) & ' ,BusinessUnit={SecretServices}' & $(Var2) & $(Var3) &  ' ,BusinessUnit={SecretServices}' & $(Var4)

Note: Be careful of the commas.

and similarly for other expressions.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you for this!

Not exactly a "graceful" solution. But still a solution.

I understand that it this wasn't solveable in a way as nice as I would've liked.