Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarahallen1
Creator II
Creator II

Set modifier element also a dimension - for inferring FX rates

I have some data giving FX (foreign exchange, i.e. currency) rates as GBP/unit or unit/GBP - the only base currency I have for my data is GBP.  However, from this it is easily inferred what the FX rates are between 2 non-GBP currencies, as the ratios are simple multiples of one another.

E.g. in my data I have rates for USD/GBP, GBP/USD, EUR/GBP and GBP/EUR.  I can easily work out (in a spreadsheet - or just a calculator!) what USD/EUR is, for example, but I can't do this in the QlikView table as I want.  The calculation (example) is:

USD/EUR = (USD/GBP) / (EUR/GBP)  .

I have attached an Excel file showing how these rates are inferred in practice.

The GBP/USD style rates are the field name [Local Cost per Unit] in my QVW (attached), and the USD/GBP style rates are [Base Cost per Unit].  I have a single value, GBP, for the field [Base Currency Code].  I have 8 values (AUD, CAD, CHF, EUR, GBP, USD) for the field [Local Currency Code]. 

I have duplicated the field [Local Currency Code] as an island field named [ISLAND Local Currency Code] so that this field always has the same 8 values as [Local Currency Code].  The intention is that I can then pick any on of these 8 currencies from the island field, and use set analysis to convert rates so that this is the new effect base currency.

I have a pivot table with dates down the left as one dimension, and [Local Currency Code] across the top as another.  The expression I am trying to use is:

only([Local Cost per Unit])      

//For the currency in that column as per the dimension

only({$<[Local Currency Code]={$(=[ISLAND Local Currency Code])}>}[Local Cost per Unit])   

//For the currency selected in the ISLAND (the specified base currency)

This is only working in the column where the [Local Currency Code] across the top dimension is the one I have picked in the island as my new base currency.  I think this is because the set modifier in the denominator of my expression is asking the [Local Currency Code] to be something different than it is according to that column of the dimension.

However, this seems (to me) to be a very natural / simple thing to do with my data set.  I would really appreciate it if anyone can help! 

Thanks,
Sarah

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi shara
check the attach file , i only changed your formula to
=

/

only({$<
[Local Currency Code]={$(=[ISLAND Local Currency Code]) } //For the currency selected in the ISLAND (the specified base currency)
>}total<[As of Date]> [Local Cost per Unit])
i added the total to the second part other wise it will only work for the selected currency

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi shara
check the attach file , i only changed your formula to
=

/

only({$<
[Local Currency Code]={$(=[ISLAND Local Currency Code]) } //For the currency selected in the ISLAND (the specified base currency)
>}total<[As of Date]> [Local Cost per Unit])
i added the total to the second part other wise it will only work for the selected currency
sarahallen1
Creator II
Creator II
Author

This is perfect - thank you very much Liron!  The table is correct now.

Also useful to see the total<[As of Date]> structure in action; hopefully I will be able to use it elsewhere now too.

Thanks again,

Sarah