Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Show Variance from Average in an additional column

Hi all,

Tanks for you time for viewing this post.

I have a pivot table as shown below.

There are 6 dimensions in total. The CPU is the expression column. I am displaying the AVERAGE by enable partial sum on Vendor and some manipulation on dimensionality(). The expression is as below.

so it will pick expression for each dimensionality.

Now what I want to do is to add an additional column to show the variance of the CPU from the AVERAGE value below it. Is it possible to do it based on what I have now? Or is there any other alternate to do it?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

You would need the TOTAL qualifier with a field list, something like

pick(dimensionality(),NULL(),NULL(),NULL(),NULL(),

CPU - Avg (TOTAL<Main_Cat, Sub_Cat, Task_Cat, Task_Name_C, Revision, Language_C> aggr( CPU, Main_Cat, Sub_Cat, Task_Cat, Task_Name_C, Revision, Language_C, Vendor))

)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Are you sure you need this complex average calculation?

Won't you get the same results using

Avg ( CPU)

,CPU)

Or maybe

Avg ( aggr( CPU, Main_Cat, Sub_Cat, Task_Cat, Task_Name_C, Revision, Language_C, Vendor))

,CPU)

If yes, just replace Avg() by Stdev() to calculate the standard deviation, square this result to get variance.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thanks for you reply!

The second expression u gave to calculate the average returns the correct results.

The first one does not work because there is actually a set of the same CPU of different tasks for each vendor, the sum of CPU would be divided by the number of tasks in the set, but not the number of vendors.

As for the variance, I didn't expressed it clearly. What I want is an additional column after the column CPU, showing the difference of each of the CPU to the AVERAGE below it. For example, for the first three rows, it will be like

Vendor        80          Difference

Alpha          18.00         0.231 (18-17.769)

Pactera       17.539       -0.23  (17.539-17.769)

AVERAGE  17.769

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You would need the TOTAL qualifier with a field list, something like

CPU - Avg (TOTAL<Main_Cat, Sub_Cat, Task_Cat, Task_Name_C, Revision, Language_C> aggr( CPU, Main_Cat, Sub_Cat, Task_Cat, Task_Name_C, Revision, Language_C, Vendor))

)

Not applicable
Author

Thanks! The TOTAL qualifier does the trick!