Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Show more than 2 dimensions in a bar chart

I need to show 3 dimensions Year, Product and Call Type and one measure activity count in a bar chart. I need all the dimensions to be displayed as bars without stacked bar. As soon as I add third dimension it takes that as stacked bar within the existing bar. User do not want to show any stacked bar. They want to show multiple bars separately for each dimension. Any help is greatly appreciated.

14 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

You can use trellis chart option to show the third dimension without stack bar. You can find this in chart properties -> Dimensions -> Trellis -> Enable trellis

Regards,

Kiran.

Not applicable
Author

Jolly, Thanks for your response. Trellis is creating multiple charts for each dimension value. User wants to see all the dimensions in a single bar chart nested in each other on x-axis. Please let me know any other ideas.

Not applicable
Author

I dont think it can be done in QV 10. I dont know if it can be done using the latest release.

Regards,

Kiran.

Not applicable
Author

Kiran,

I thought the same that it can't be done. Before I tell my users, would like to check with experts on this community.

Not applicable
Author

Hi rqlikview,

you can show three dimensions in a bar chart, but how qlikview interprets and shows it and wat u expect it to do are two quite different things.

Qlikview can only "show" 2 dimensions, by that I mean first dimension on X-axis and second on Y-Axis. if you add a third dimension, it makes a bar chart a 3-d object, which qlikview shows by stacking it on top of each other.

In any case if you want to use three dimensions, you won't get the desired result ... the chart just won't make sense.

I think you should convince your users otherwise.

Rgrds,

Abhinava

Not applicable
Author

Abhinava,

Thanks for your response. I agree with you. Qlikview creates third dimension on x-axis as a stack chart. But excel accommodates these kinds of nesting. User is comparing excel functionality and challenging Qlikview. Checking if this is possible or do I have to go back and tell them not possible.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think your problem is similar to the issue we discussed here:

http://community.qlik.com/message/150787#150787

Maybe the approach using a new concatenated dimension to reduce three dimensions to two will also work for you?

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Stefan,

Appreciate your idea. I did follow the same approach and showed it to business. They are no ok with that approach. They want to see them nested on x-axis which excel can do easily. It seems like it is a limitation in Qlikview. 

Not applicable
Author

Maybe this could provide some pointers http://community.qlik.com/message/151030#151030