Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sort by Expression not working

I'm using QlikView 9 SR5. I'm trying to sort a straight table by one of the columns using an expression, but the sort isn't working.

The expression I am using to sort is the same as the expression for the column. However, the column ignores the expression and is always sorted the same way no matter how many times I double-click the column header.

Is this a bug in QlikView or am I missing something basic? I've attached a simple test case to illustrate the problem. To see the behavior, try to sort the sum(Field1) column by double-clicking the header, The order doesn't change.

Thanks!

4 Replies
erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

I have the same QV Version that you do, but I can sort it with the double-click. So, I dont know what happened to you.

I had this problem before. Try to enter in chart properties -> Sort Tab and for the expressions do not mark the "Text" Box. Use only Numeric Value

Not applicable
Author

Erich, thanks for responding.

Sorry, I uploaded the wrong app. Please see this one.

The problem I am having is that sort by Expression does not work. I know how to sort by numeric and text value, but that is not what I need to do. I need Sort by Expression to work.

m_woolf
Master II
Master II

I sorts fine for me when I dbl click the column header in V9SR6

Not applicable
Author

Simon,

Sort by expression will work for the ID field in your sample app. I believe it needs to be a dimension for it to let you sort by an expression but I could be mistaken.

You will want to promote it in the sort order & I also recommend turning off interactive sort when you want to force a specific sort order. See attached