Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sorting Month Names(Jan, Feb..)

I am looking into last 4 months from today, dat is jan,dec,oct and nov in a pivot table. But I am  seeing sorting order as jan,oct,nov,dec. I nned to see oct,nov,dec and jan bcos jan is 2013 so I need that to see at last. Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
adamwilson
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

that is the correct behavior when sorting by month, consider using MonthName(Date) instead which will add the year to the field so it will sort as Oct 2012, Nov 2012, Dec 2012, Jan 2013

View solution in original post

8 Replies
adamwilson
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

that is the correct behavior when sorting by month, consider using MonthName(Date) instead which will add the year to the field so it will sort as Oct 2012, Nov 2012, Dec 2012, Jan 2013

Not applicable
Author

I have Date field as 1/24/2013 format, I used Date(Date field,'MMM-YY') and converted into Jan-13, but in pivot table when I used this field I am still unable to sort. ...

adamwilson
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

is the sort set to numeric value in properties?

Not applicable
Author

Yes, I did...

Not applicable
Author

Yes, I did...Please find the attachment

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

The first thing you need to do is to interpret the dates as dates. They are not identified as dates now. This is done with the Date#() function. And you should do that before you create the qvd. See more on http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-3102.

Then You can create the Months using Month(Date#([DateField],'MMM-YYYY')).

HIC

adamwilson
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Your Field name [Curative TR Month Year] isn't a date datatype, in your script replace:

Month(CURATIVE_TR_HCSENTDTE)&'-'& Year(CURATIVE_TR_HCSENTDTE) as [Curative TR Month Year],

With:

MonthName(CURATIVE_TR_HCSENTDTE) as [Curative TR Month Year],

Christian_Lauritzen
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Pramod,

There is a quite simple solution as an alternative to the above.

=dual(MonthField,Index('janfebmaraprmayjunjulaugsepoctnovdec',lower(MonthField)))

Suppose your MonthField contains Mar, Dec, Jan, Feb ... etc. in an unsorted order. If you enter the formula above as a sort expression, your sequence will turn out right. It is also useful when you use Month(Fieldname) as it can distort the sort order.

Hope this adds new insight!

Email: christian.lauritzen@b3.se