Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianwilson
Contributor III
Contributor III

Straight table with dates from variable not from selection

Hi,

I have a straight table with a dimension based on a date variable:

=if(Date>=($(varViewDate)-7) and Date<=($(varViewDate)-1), Date)

This shows 1 row for each of the 7 days before the date in the variable. Eventually the variable will be today() and will show the 7 days data before today, but I am using a variable because the test data isn't current.

The expressions in the straight table are as simple as you can get:

=Revenue

=Budget

with no summation or interpretation of the data required.

The problem I have is unlinking this information from any date selections. In the same application users will be able to perform analysis based on date selections, but I don't want this table to be affected by those date selections.

However I do want the users to be able to filter on location, so I cannot detach the table to fix the problem.

I thought using set analysis with the same expression as used in the dimension would work, but I just get "Errors in expression" because Only is not what I actually want. I tried the following:

=Only({1 <if(Date>=($(varViewDate)-7) and Date<=($(varViewDate)-1)} > Revenue)

OR

=Only( {1 < Date={($(varViewDate)-7),($(varViewDate)-6),($(varViewDate)-5),($(varViewDate)-4),($(varViewDate)-3),($(varViewDate)-2),($(varViewDate)-1)}>} Revenue)

It's occurred to me this might be possible without set analysis, but using the {1} Total set seems the obvious solution. I probably need a different function but most examples use the sum function, which does seem necessary when I only want 1 value, rather than the sum of values.

My QlikView journey is just starting, so any help appreciated. I'm also waiting for my developer license, so am still using a personal edition at the moment.

Thanks

Ian

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

He wants to be able to filter by location, and I assume by any non-date-related fields. So as a modification to your expression, I think we'll need to ignore all date-related fields rather than use {1}. So if we have Year, Month, and Week in our calendar along with the Date, perhaps something like this:

only({<Year=,Month=,Week=,Date={">=$(=(=Date(varViewDate-7,'MM/DD/YYYY'))<=$(=Date(varViewDate,'MM/DD/YYYY'))"}>} Revenue)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI

If you are looking for result IRRESPECTIVE of selection , please go like below

=ONLY({1<Date={">=$(=(=Date(varViewDate-7,'MM/DD/YYYY'))<=$(=Date(varViewDate,'MM/DD/YYYY'))"}>} Revenue)

@Ian highlighte in blue : please modify according to you Date field format DD/MM or YYY/DD etc.,

I think above should give Revenue

if you looking for sum ??

=SUM({1<Date={">=$(=(=Date(varViewDate-7,'MM/DD/YYYY'))<=$(=Date(varViewDate,'MM/DD/YYYY'))"}>} Revenue)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ian,

Also please go through this

Set Analysis for certain Point in Time

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

He wants to be able to filter by location, and I assume by any non-date-related fields. So as a modification to your expression, I think we'll need to ignore all date-related fields rather than use {1}. So if we have Year, Month, and Week in our calendar along with the Date, perhaps something like this:

only({<Year=,Month=,Week=,Date={">=$(=(=Date(varViewDate-7,'MM/DD/YYYY'))<=$(=Date(varViewDate,'MM/DD/YYYY'))"}>} Revenue)

ianwilson
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Allu and John

Thanks for the quick response. I've tried the following variations on the suggestions, but not got to the field exclusions yet - need to get the basic set working first.

None of these other than the basic "=Revenue" returns any values.

//=Revenue
//
//=Only({1<Date={">=$(=(=Date(varViewDate-7,'DD/MM/YYYY'))<=$(=Date(varViewDate-1,'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}>}Revenue)
//
//=ONLY({1<Date={">=$(=(=Date(varViewDate-7,'DD/MM/YYYY'))<=$(=Date(varViewDate,'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}>}Revenue)
//
//=ONLY({1<Date={">=$(varViewDate-7)<=$(varViewDate-1)"}>}Revenue)
//
//=ONLY({1<Date={">=($(varViewDate)-7)<=($(varViewDate)-1)"}>}Revenue)
//
//=ONLY({1<Date={">=(=Date(($(varViewDate)-7),'DD/MM/YYYY'))<=(=Date(($(varViewDate)-1),'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}>}Revenue)

//=ONLY({1<Date={">=(=Date($(varViewDate)-7))<=(=Date($(varViewDate)-1))"}>}Revenue)

//=ONLY({1<Date={">=Date(($(varViewDate)-7),'DD/MM/YYYY')<=Date(($(varViewDate)-1),'DD/MM/YYYY')"}>}Revenue)

=ONLY({1<Date={">=Date($(varViewDate)-7)<=Date($(varViewDate)-1)"}>}Revenue)

After some testing with text fields I found the following expressions all return the correct date in DD/MM/YYYY or in the correct Number value i.e. 42523

$(=(=Date(varViewDate-7,'DD/MM/YYYY'))

Date(($(varViewDate)-7),'DD/MM/YYYY')

$(varViewDate)-7)

Date($(varViewDate)-7)

So I don't think I have an issue with the date formats, having tested them in text fields and tried all 4 different ways of writing them.

The Set expression to select the date with the >= and <= makes perfect sense to me, but I still don't get any values in the Revenue field:

straight table.png

I haven't applied set analysis to the other fields yet so they are still displaying data with a basic =Budget type expression. The date field is just for troubleshooting at this time.

I'm going to have a read of the suggestion below Set Analysis for certain Point in Time

Thanks for the help.

ianwilson
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi

I now realise I didn't understand the difference between the Total Set for a specific date range and the Current Set excluding dates .  After sleeping on it and rereading the posts I realised my mistake.

The solution is the expression:

=ONLY({$<Year=,Month=,Week=,Date={'>=$(=(varViewDate)-7)<=$(=(varViewDate)-1)'}>}Revenue)

Which takes the revenue for the current selection, but only for the dates in the range of the variable, ignoring any date selection. ( Obviously! ).

This may have an issue if I have duplicate values for Revenue in this range - need to check - and I need to check out the impact of the Date formatting, as it is probably not best practice to have a bare variable in a date expression, but it works and I understand why.

Thanks for the help - much appreciated.