Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sub-tab or Sub-Sheet

Is it possible to create a sub sheet (or a sub-tab) underneath the sheet or tab? Qlickview demo app for Cycling has a similar concept, but I am not sure how it was done. Any pointers?

Thanks,

Dinesh.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

You can't specifally place a sub tab underneath a tab as the users window size would dictate the wrapping but i thought this setup was quite neat:

1. create a variable called 'tabactive' and default it to 0 (let tabactive=0;)

on your main tab, go to sheet properties > triggers > onactivatesheet > edit action > add > external >set variable and then put 'tabactive' as the variable and 1 as the value

2 create your subtab

3.on your sub tab, go to sheet properties > triggers > onleavesheet > edit action > add > external >set variable and then put 'tabactive' as the variable and 0 as the value, also put the same trigger on any other main tab where you don't want to see the subtab

The subtab will now appear when you select the main and dissapear when you move to another main tab

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

You can't specifally place a sub tab underneath a tab as the users window size would dictate the wrapping but i thought this setup was quite neat:

1. create a variable called 'tabactive' and default it to 0 (let tabactive=0;)

on your main tab, go to sheet properties > triggers > onactivatesheet > edit action > add > external >set variable and then put 'tabactive' as the variable and 1 as the value

2 create your subtab

3.on your sub tab, go to sheet properties > triggers > onleavesheet > edit action > add > external >set variable and then put 'tabactive' as the variable and 0 as the value, also put the same trigger on any other main tab where you don't want to see the subtab

The subtab will now appear when you select the main and dissapear when you move to another main tab

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This is helpful. But this would make child tabs appear or disappear depending on parent tab being selected. But the child tabs would still appear side by side to the parent tabs. Is there no way in which the child tabs can appear below parent tabs?

Thanks,

Dinesh.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

thonipad wrote:Is there no way in which the child tabs can appear below parent tabs?

I don't believe so. But you can simulate it all you want with buttons or list boxes or whatever. Here's a quick and dirty list box version of subtabs. You could clean it up, and I suspect that buttons, while more complicated, would also look better. Or maybe separate text boxes with actions that set the tab value. Or whatever.

Not applicable
Author

John, it looks good. But when printing the sheet, those tabs are printed as well. Is there a way to define "Not to Print"? Thanks.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Not that I'm aware of, though I don't do much printing. As far as I know, when you print a sheet, it prints the sheet. The sub tabs are on the sheet. Therefore, the sub tabs print.

Does version 10 have something like "print container"? If so, you could probably make your sub tabs containers, and then print the container instead of the whole sheet.

You could probably make your own print button that used a macro to hide the objects you don't want to see, print, and then unhide those objects. I wouldn't go to that much trouble, though.