Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sum over unique rows in expression

Hi all,

I want to calculate the percentage of stock that is obsolete in a gauge chart. I have two tables, one with the stock levels and one with sales.

The stock table looks as follows:

product  stock    obsolete

A           300       YES

B           200        NO

C           200        NO

D           300        NO

I also have the following sales table:

product   sold

B           20

B           30

B           45

C           10

C           100

D           150

When I now calculate the sum in a graph expression, it contains many duplicates, I presume that this is the case due to Qlikview making the one-to-many relation between these tables (as expected in the rest of the dashboard, but not what I want here..).

The result here should be the sum of obsolete stock, divided by the total stock. In this case: 300/(300+200+200+300) = 30%.

I have been messing around with aggregate, total, distinct, sum, min, but I cannot seem to get it right..

Could anybody help me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Florian

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Colin-Albert

I would suggest you remove the synthetic keys as it will make your data model easier to understand and test. With the synethic keys removed you will be able to preview the tables correctly and see if the data associations are correct.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try sum({<obsolete={'YES'}>}stock)/sum({1}total stock)

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Thanks, this works! This was a simplified example of something that I was actually trying to achieve, in which it does not work yet. So I probably have to look at the structure of the data there. sum({1}total stock) returns a value that is way too high there..

Colin-Albert

Using the {1} set will mean that all data selections are ignored, which is why you are seeing a high figure.

Try this, so the same selection apply to both expressions.

sum({<obsolete={'YES'}>}stock) / sum(total stock)

Gysbert_Wassenaar

The {1} makes the expression ignore all selections. If that's not what you need then try removing it.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Thanks again for your suggestions, but I think I am doing something more fundamental wrong. Both sum({1}total stock) and sum(total stock) return a value that is about 320 times as high as the total stock actually is. Exporting the table (product, stock) to excel shows that the sum should be around 50.000, while the sum({1}total stock)  returns something like 13.000.000.

Colin-Albert

What do you get from this expression?

sum({<obsolete={'YES'}>}stock) / sum(stock)

Not applicable
Author

Just sum(stock) gives a value of about 20.000, which is too low. I have attached my data structure, maybe that gives you an idea of why these strange values are returned? If I create a table of 'newFinal', I get exactly the information I expect, and the total of the stock column is about 50.000 there, which is the value it should be.

data structure.png

Also, by making a selection, the value for sum(stock) can actually become higher?

Colin-Albert

I would suggest you remove the synthetic keys as it will make your data model easier to understand and test. With the synethic keys removed you will be able to preview the tables correctly and see if the data associations are correct.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for this tip! I managed to find the mistake in my document. I forgot to add 'distinct' to a load, where I should have added it. This caused some combinations to show up more than once in a table, but not in the table box.

Thanks to you both for the help.