Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Suppress zero values AND show total rows where sum = 0

I've a slight problem with a pivot in that I am using the Suppress Zero Values option for the data, but this is removing the total row under certain circumstances.

Quick example to show what I mean;

Transactions:

load * inline

[

Name, Amount

Bob, 2

Seraphim, -2

Baldrick, 1

];

...some nice simple data.

I then create a simple pivot with one dimension, 'Name', and one expression, 'sum(Amount)'.  On the Presentation tab I select to show totals under Name.

My default view on the pivot shows this;

Name      sum(Amount)

Baldrick  1

Bob       2

Seraphim  -2

Total             1

Wonderful so far.  However, when I filter out Baldrick...

Name      sum(Amount)

Bob       2

Seraphim  -2

...no Total row, because it's zero!

Now, in this example it's not much of a problem because even with my brain I can see that -2 and 2 = 0, but in the system I'm developing there can be +ve and -ve transactions which cancel each other out, and there can be LOTS of them, many more than anyone's brain will care to perform a running total on.  There may even be a +5, -3, -1.75, -.25... having that Total line at the bottom showing zero is pretty important to me!

I have kinda faked it, but I don't like the solution, which is to add a new expression column with a value of

= if ( RowNo() = 0, 'Total', '' )

, so that total lines will have some non-zero data on them.  However, that leaves me with a strange, fake column on my table, and I'd rather not have that there.

So then, the big question:   Is there an option, or a way to implement, 'Suppress Zero Value Rows Except For Total Lines' please?  Or is what I've done about as good as it's going to get?

Thanks for looking.

1 Reply
Not applicable
Author

Slight update - I had to alter my 'fix' so that it was

if ( RowNo() = 0, 'Total', 0 )

...as the 'else' part of an empty string still caused my detail rows to show even if they were all zero.

So now I've got a column at the end of my pivot just showing a long list of zeros.  Groan...