Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Syntax question, regarding how to use a variable inside set analysis

Hi I'm new to Qlikview and have a syntax question, regarding how to use a variable inside set analysis.

I need to use two filters for worked hours, they work separately but not when combined.

This works:

sum({$<[Store Name]-={'Name1','Name2'}>} Worked_Hours)

This works:

sum( $(v_LastWeek_Filter) Worked_Hours)

But when I combine them it does not work:

sum({$<DateKey={$(v_LastWeek_Filter)},[Store Name]-={'Name1','Name2'}>} Worked_Hours)

I have tried different things like putting an equal sign and commas here and there but without luck, can anyone help?

Regards.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

A possible solution:

Put a list of set modifiers in v_LastWeek_filter instead of a complete set spec:

DateKey={"$(='>=' & '$(v_StartOfLastWeek)' & '<=' & '$(v_EndOfLastWeek)')"},Year=,Week=,Day=,Month,fYear=

Rewrite your expression so that it includes these set modifiers in an existing set spec, like in:

sum({$<$(v_LastWeek_Filter),[Store Name]-={'Name1','Name2'}>} Worked_Hours)

The small version that will still work then becomes something like this:

sum({$<$(v_LastWeek_Filter)>} Worked_Hours)

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Guðmundur,

It all comes to first how the variable has been SET or LET and second, what the variable actually contains.

If $(v_LastWeek_Filter) equals to 7, a numeric value that matches DateKey, then the syntax is correct.

But my guess is that this variable has a date representation (DD/MM/YYYY) or something similar, therefore you need single quotes to match properly:

Sum({$<DateKey={'$(v_LastWeek_Filter)'},[Store Name]-={'Name1','Name2'}>} Worked_Hours)

Again, it will depend on how are values stored into DateKey and how are they n v_LastWeek_Filter.

Miguel

amit_saini
Master III
Master III

Please go through this attachment.

Thanks,
AS

Not applicable
Author

Hi and thank you for your answer,

all variables are created using LET, and DateKey is a date representation (DD/MM/YYYY). Tried the single quotes but that does not work.

This is what the other variables look like.

v_LastWeek_Filter:

{$<DateKey={"$(='>=' & '$(v_StartOfLastWeek)' & '<=' & '$(v_EndOfLastWeek)')"},Year=,Week=,Day=,Month,fYear=>}

v_StartOfLastWeek:

=WeekStart( Date( v_StartOfWeek- 1))

v_StartOfWeek:

=WeekStart(v_MaxDate)

v_EndOfLastWeek:

=WeekEnd(v_StartOfLastWeek)

Regards.

rubenmarin

Hi gudmundur,

You can define your v_LastWeek_Filter variable like:

DateKey={"$(='>=' & '$(v_StartOfLastWeek)' & '<=' & '$(v_EndOfLastWeek)')"},Year=,Week=,Day=,Month,fYear=

(removing the {$< from start and the >} from the end

then you can use:

Not tested, the expression dialog will mark some errors but it should work.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Always a good technique is to replace $-substitution variables at the highest level with what they actually contain. For example, an expression like

sum({$<DateKey={$(v_LastWeek_Filter)},[Store Name]-={'Name1','Name2'}>} Worked_Hours)

where v_LastWeek_Filter contains:

{$<DateKey={"$(='>=' & '$(v_StartOfLastWeek)' & '<=' & '$(v_EndOfLastWeek)')"},Year=,Week=,Day=,Month,fYear=>}

produces an initital text substitution result of:

sum({$<DateKey={{$<DateKey={"$(='>=' & '$(v_StartOfLastWeek)' & '<=' & '$(v_EndOfLastWeek)')"}, Year=,Week=,Day=,Month,fYear=>}},[Store Name]-={'Name1','Name2'}>} Worked_Hours)

Apparently the problem is that you seem to be nested set analysis... I think QlikView doesn't support nested set analysis except using P() and E() functions.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

A possible solution:

Put a list of set modifiers in v_LastWeek_filter instead of a complete set spec:

Rewrite your expression so that it includes these set modifiers in an existing set spec, like in:

The small version that will still work then becomes something like this:

sum({$<$(v_LastWeek_Filter)>} Worked_Hours)

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Peter,

got this to work:

sum({$<DateKey={"$(='>=' & '$(v_StartOfLastWeek)' & '<=' & '$(v_EndOfLastWeek)')"},Year=,Week=,Day=,Month=,fYear=,[Store Name]-={"Name1","Name2"}>}Worked_Hours)

Regards.