Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Team Application Development cookbook - version control and deployment

I feel like I am reinventing the wheel here and while I do that, would like if anyone can share recent, platform-specific advice...

The version control system we will use is Microsoft Team Foundation. We are on the latest versions (12) of QlikView.

I've set up the integration based on reading a few posts here and I have it working locally, but a couple questions come up in the overall architecture.

1. How do we implement the concept of a master/development branch?

2. How do we streamline the "build" process?

Assuming we have our basic repository working and developers are happily getting latest, merging, etc., then the issue becomes how do we deploy.

We have a staging server. Will use QV on that server to get latest and reload for integration testing. Then, copy files manually from stage to prod.

But it occurs to me we should have concept of a master or production branch so we are not committing new code to the only branch we have. Is this something to manage in TFS? Assuming we do that, would you toggle the staging QV to get latest from the two branches and then maintain two separate folders on the staging server...one is hooked up to the web server for testing, the other is purely for getting the production branch to be staged to the production server?

Is there any way to automate the "full build"? As I understand this, to build up a QlikView server, one would need to open each and every QV app from source control (creating the binary .qvw). Then, we need to reload each of those to produce .qvds, etc. The reload could be accomplished through the management console, but the "compiling" of the qvw is something it seems you must open up in the desktop client to accomplish. Has anyone created a batch process that would reliably build a directory of QV applications from source control??

Sorry so long a question!

0 Replies