Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djbloiss
Contributor III
Contributor III

Test if null in Expression

I am passing Variables to my expression and I want to test if the value is null, so I can do something different depending on if it is Null or not.  How can I test if the variable is null?  This is currently what I am testing:

if(IsNull('$1'),'Null','Not Null')

then I am calling it like this:

$(Testing($(Test)))

or this:

$(Testing)

In either case it is returning Not Null. 

8 Replies
marcus_sommer

Try it with: if(len(trim('$1'))=0,'Null','Not Null')

- Marcus

Anil_Babu_Samineni

What does the $1 parameter contains?

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
djbloiss
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I tell you in the original question

djbloiss
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

It did the same thing.

I even tried if(IsNull(trim('$1')),'Null','Not Null')

still the same result

marcus_sommer

Please provide some more details what do you want to do. I assume that you want to nest parametrized variables. This is in general possible but not trivial from a syntax point of view:

- Marcus

djbloiss
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Marcus, I don't want the full answer because I am new and I am trying to figure things out on my own.  Getting the full answer will not help me much.

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Can you post image of your parameters?

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
djbloiss
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I have it figured out and am going to do a full Blog Post as this took a lot of research.