Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

TimeStamp on Records in a file updated from QlikView

I ha.ve reasons to write out a csv file from a doccument.  The csv is created / added to via pushing a button on the doccument with the file beins read back in at the next reload to update files used in the next doccument.  I need to include a timestamp on each record / row written out so that when processing the file back in I can select only the most current records as the records have been selected and updated by the users.  When I use a filed like:

Timestamp(Now(1)) as Test_Time_Stamp,

all that I get in the file is the last reload time, now the time that the button was pressed.

Any ideas or suggestions would help!

Thanks!

9 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

1. Create a variable vExportTime.

2. Add an expression to your export table =vExportTime.

3. Make the first Action of your button to set variable vExportTime to =now(1)

-Rob

http://robwunderlich.com

http://qlikviewcomponents.org

Not applicable
Author

It doesn't appear to work, I may have gotten it wrong. I did in the button properties:

Set Variable vDummy1 =Now(1)

Export

What I get in the file is the last time that the load script was run.  I export the data several times at least 1 minute apart but the time is always the same.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I was assuming you were using a macro based export, not an Action export. To use an action based export (with QV11), I have a theory that you could use the Dynamic Update action to set an "ExportTime" field to now(1). However, I can't seem to make this work and don't yet understand why.

If yo can use a macro, an alternative is to make a straight table using the technique as suggested above and use a macro export.

ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject("CHnn").Export("myfile.csv")

The action approach is preferable. If I get a working example I'll let you know.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

I think that I still have it wrong.  Created the straight table with all of the elements including the calculated time stamp. Pun in the macro and when I press the button I get a display of the Macro.  The Macro is:

sub ExportMyFile

ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject(CH37).Export("myfile.csv")

end sub

Not applicable
Author

I think that I still have it wrong.  Created the straight table with all of the elements including the calculated time stamp. Pun in the macro and when I press the button I get a display of the Macro.  The Macro is:

sub ExportMyFile

ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject(CH37).Export("myfile.csv")

end sub

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think you need double quotes around CH37.

Not applicable
Author

When I put in the double quotes the module displays again with the parens in red and the curser adter ("CH37" and befor the )

ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject("CH37").Export("myfile.csv")

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You need a second required argument to Export, the seperator char.

ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject("CH37").Export "myfile.csv", ","

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

I'm now getting a message 'Cannot open file myfile.csv for writing!'.  I think that this is colser than I have been previously.