Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy_smith2005
Partner - Contributor III

Timestamp# joining two fields to create a timestamp

I have a series of text files delimited by white space something like this:

16/01/15 20:45:56

16/01/15 21:50:13

I want to join the two fields together to create a timestamp field from which I can build an incremental load strategy/script. I have tried various things using date,num,timestamp,timestamp#,makedate#floor and the most I achieve is either a string of data which qlikview will only recognise as a string and not a timestamp, or a number which Qlikview doesnt recognise as a date.

Anyone got any ideas??

10 Replies
Not applicable

Hi,

this should work. Try:

timestamp#(Field1&' '&Field2,'DD/MM/YY hh:mm:ss')

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Nuno

Colin-Albert

Try

Timestamp(Timestamp#(your_field_name, 'DD/MM/YY hh:mm:ss')) as timestamp_field_name

Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends what format your fields are, may be something like this if they are true QlikView timestamps, then maybe something like this :

text(now()) & '|' & text(now()-0.5)

You'll need to replace now() and now()-0.5 with your filed names.

andy_smith2005
Author

Nuno - cheers matey that was just what I needed - I am sure that your solution was one of the combinations that I used previously, but I think where I was going wrong was in the format area of the expression

many thanks

andy_smith2005
Author

Bill - no these are just plain text fields - interested in understanding the use of the now() function though - why have you used this??

andy_smith2005
Author

thanks Colin but that won't join the two fields together as far as I can see , though I could just be a doughnut!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

now() simply returns the timestamp of now.  I find it useful for testing expressions using date & time functions.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

read rhis

QlikView Date fields

and/or see image for expression to convert your string (I used 16/01/15 20:45:56)

1.jpg

Not applicable

If you want to create a Time stamp out of to fields i.e. Date and Time... Simply add them...

for example: Load Datefield+Timefield as Timestamp

Hope it helps.

Nitesh