Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Tip to debug a mistake

Hi everyone,

In my qlikview, I have a table with dimensions and one expression. 

Let's say in dimensions, I have fields A,B,C and a numeric field "amount". In expression, I have sum(amount).

The result of sum(amount) is, for some modalities of B,  twice as much as the dimension amount.  I don't get why. I know the dimension is the right result but I would like to display a total sum(amount) near the table.

I know you cannot really tell me what is the exact origine of the problem but do you know how I could debug it ? I guess there must be a join which has doubled some lines.

Thanks for your help

7 Replies
sasikanth
Master
Master

May be you are right check your data model once ,

and if possible try to attach your .qvw here..

anbu1984
Master III
Master III

Your duplicates might be due to your joining keys. If you are not joining on all the keys then you might get duplicate

In the below example, joining keys are Key1 and Key2. But we have not renamed Key3 to Key2 in the second table, so we get duplicates

Tbl:

Load * Inline [

Key1,Key2,Amt

1,3,400 ];

Join(Tbl)

Load * Inline [

Key1,Key3,Amt1

1,3,500 ];

datanibbler
Champion
Champion

To debug such a thing, place EXIT commands in the script and create a straight-table chart with

- Line_ID (or some other unique key for exactly one line) as dimension

- COUNT([Line_ID]) as an expression

=> That will help you learn if there are really duplicates being created.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you DataNibbler. Very useful

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

In your script, when creating the final table (and in some intermediate tables as well, but that depends on your script and data model), add RowNo() to your records. This can be used to separate duplicates and deduce the distance of their creation (and probable cause)

What saved me from a horrible QV-death more than once is a construct to dump intermediate tables to QVD's. It goes as follows:

1. Create a variable, say vDebug
  2. Put the following after each doubtfull LOAD (change the table name and file name to keep different stage QVDs):

IF (trim('$(vDebug)') = 1) THEN
      STORE ThisTable INTO [.\ThisTable.QVD] (qvd);
    END IF

3. In Settings->Variable Overview, set vDebug to 1 whenever you want to have a look inside the Transformation step.
  4. Use a QVD monitor to check the content of the QVD in each stage

Do not forget to set vDebug back to 0 when you publish your document.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Check your outer joins and try aggr as well.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

A good QVD monitor/explorer is EasyQlik QViewer by Dmitry Gudkov. Free version available.