Skip to main content
Announcements
Customer Spotlight: Discover what’s possible with embedded analytics Oct. 16 at 10:00 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Trouble with decimal settings ... again

Hi,

I have a value that I have calculated in my script as >> 24,93051 <<.

Script settings are:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

SET ThousandSep='.';
SET DecimalSep=',';
SET MoneyThousandSep='.';
SET MoneyDecimalSep=',';

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So the comma should be used as decimal_separator - I know that QlikView calculates with the opposed settings internally. Right?

So when I type

>>  round([that value], '0.0001' <<

should not that round the output to four decimals?

Well, it doesn't. Instead this gives me 0.0025 or something.

So what do I have to do to get this value rounded to four decimals?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

30 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi DataNibbler,

Simply, remove the single quotes: =Round(24.09351, 0.0001)

Or

Num(24.93051, '#.###,####0')

it works for all cases above

I hope that helps you

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I have thought about the num# function already - but to be honest, I don't really understand how that works and so I am not sure how to use it.

You are not the first one to advise me to use that, giving the correct syntax - but, maybe because I have the software in German and the help_file is a strange mixture of english and German and does not really explain how the individual parameters of that function are made up, I don't understand how to use that.

Thanks a lot anyway!

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you use a Num format with a decimal indicator different to your system and.or environment, then you need to include the optional decimal parameter:

num(value,'###0.0000', '.')

or

num(value,'###0.0000', '.', ' ')

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I still haven't come to terms with this. I'll give you all the information I have, maybe someone can help me.

- My settings (on the "Main" tab) are in German format (the comma is the decimal_separator).

- I have one numeric variable coming from Excel; In Excel, it is also in German formatting

=> Currently, I use a >> num(Replace('$(v_myvar)', ',', '.')) << to turn the formatting around and make it
        numeric again.

- In the script I have two fields which I have to sum. One of them has variables (and is in German formatting), but
   I round the sum, so it is a numeric value without decimals.

- I multiply that rounded sum with the variable and I get a numeric value again - I can see in the table_viewer that
   it is numeric.

- There is a second value (also numeric) which has up to four decimals.

=> I want to round the first value to compare these two.

I think this is pretty complex. It would be helpful if anyone had a usable logical explanation of the num# function at hand (how to decide what the individual parameters must be) - the integrated help isn't really helpful here. Therefore I mess around with quotes to make it a string, REPLACEing characters and num() to make it numeric again. I guess that screws up my logic.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

rubenmarin

Sorry but I don't understand the issue, can you upload a sample?.

I made a simple example:

-Created Excel with value 24,93051 in cell A1.

- Loaded and applied round, PFA.

In Spain we also have comma as decimal separator.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Ruben,

I don't fully understand myself what the actual issue is. It is quite complicated as and yesterday was already pretty hot - our office is always 2-3 degrees warmer than outside ...

I will try again today.

The thing is this:

- My app actually compares two reports, both of them in Excel

- In each of these reports, there are some time_measures and financial figures;

- There are a rather large nr. of records where, acc. to my analysis, the times are equal - everything is equal - but
   the financials are still different.

=> That is what I actually want to analyze. I am pretty sure that it's a rounding thing, Now I have a numeric variable
     that is also forthcoming from an Excel file and I think that's where the error lies. Let's see.

Is there maybe some document or blog_post around that clearly explains how I have to build up the individual parameters for the num#() function? As I said, the integrated help isn't very helpful in this instance and I think that would really help me.

The syntax that Sasidhar proposed seems to work, but I don't understand it. As I said, the help_file here mixes up German and English (and the formats) and it is kept very short (and incomplete) and rather adds to confusion ...

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

I guess that the issue, like some of you have already suggested, is the "comma". Even when a value is numeric all right, when it has a "comma", that is interpreted as the separator between parameters, even when the settings on the "Main" tab of the script are such that the "comma" is the decimal_separator.

avinashelite

HI DataNibbler,

Please go through this thread to understand about the num# function

understanding the 'num#' function

Num#

num#(expression [ , format-code[ , decimal-sep [ , thousands-sep] ] ])

The num# function evaluates the expression numerically according to the string given as format-code. Decimal separator and thousands separator can be set as third and fourth parameters. If the parameters 2-4 are omitted, the default number format set by script variables or in the operating system is used.

Examples:

The examples below assume the two following operating system settings:

Default setting 1

Default setting 2

Number format

# ##0,#

#,##0.#

num#( A, '#' ) where A=35,648.375 returns:

Setting 1

Setting 2

String

Number

-

num#( A, '#.#', '.' , ',') where A=35,648.375 returns:

Setting 1

Setting 2

String

Number

num#( A, '#.#',',','.' ) where A=35648.375 returns:

Setting 1

Setting 2

String

Number

num#( A, 'abc#,#' ) where A=abc123,4 returns:

Setting 1

Setting 2

String

abc123,4

abc123,4

Number

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Thanks Avinash!

The pasted text from the help_file doesn't help me on - I have read that a few times 😉 That's why I said that the help isn't really helpful here. But I will read through that post. I can't really believe that everyone else but me understands this function?

Anyway, if I understand it from that thread, I will make a short explanatory document out of that.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Avinash,

so, essentially, the parameters I pass to the num#() function tell QlikView how I WANT the figure to be interpreted, not how it IS, right?

I didn't know about the exact function of the # vs. 0 either ... I see there is still a lot to learn.

(in my instance, the value is formatted as a number in Excel and reads >> 0,4017 << - but apparently, the "comma" is causing problems all along the way - the numbers might all be numeric all right and still, in the end I have two values looking quite the same, both with four decimals (and the same decimal_sign) - but an IF_query tells me they are not equal.

Also, do I necessarily have to wrap the first parameter (the original value I have) in quotes?