Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to put Expressions into Variables

I have a number of expressions in my document that I am using repeatedly, so I wanted to load them into variables.

First I defined them in the document using the Variable Overview and that works perfectly.

Best practices recommends loading them in the script, so I attempted to do that, but have had no luck getting it to work.

This is what Variable Overview shows if I define it in the document:

eCurrentYear = sum({$<@Year={$(=(@Year))},@Quarter = ,@Period = ,@Week = >}#InvoiceTotal)

eLastYear = sum({$<@Year={$(=(@Year)-1)},@Quarter = ,@Period = ,@Week = >}#InvoiceTotal)

Life is good!

This is what Variable Overview shows if I define it in the script:

eCurrentYear = sum({$<@Year={(internal error)},@Quarter = ,@Period = ,@Week = >}#InvoiceTotal)

eLastYear = sum({$<@Year={(internal error)},@Quarter = ,@Period = ,@Week = >}#InvoiceTotal)

Does anybody have any idea what's causing the internal error, and how to get around it?

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Finally got it working, based on a previous post in the Community by Sunny Talwar.

LET etCurrentYear='sum({$' & '<@Year={$' & '(=(@Year))},@Quarter = ,@Period = ,@Week = >}#InvoiceTotal)' ;

LET eLastYear='sum({$' & '<@Year={$' & '(=(@Year)-1)},@Quarter = ,@Period = ,@Week = >}#InvoiceTotal@)' ;

I just needed the ' & ' after the $ signs. It now works as expected.