cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usage audit tracking

Hi Guys,

Can someone help me understand on how i can figure out the usage of a dashboard. I have enabled audit logging on the server already. I am trying to find out which are the reports the users have accessed. I am able to figure out what are the selections the users have made and who all have used the send to excel option and all.

But what i am looking for is as below.

If a user logs in and does not make any selections and just opens up a report (pivot table or straight table which is in minimized state by default). Can i get this information from the audit log.

Thanks in advance.

Aadil

14 Replies
martynlloyd
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi, I have just created my own usage tracker, using the Audit and Sessions logs. Enable extensive logging in the management console. Regards. Marty.

Capture.JPG.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for the response.

From your screenshot i can figure out, the selections and the sheets that the user has navigated to. How do you figure out the object they have clicked on and not the selections that they made.

Thanks,

Aadil

martynlloyd
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Aadil,

Actually, this level of tracking is fine for me, it tells me which objects they are exporting to excel, as well as general navigation.  I have enough info to evolve my application. Similar to Google Analytics...

regards,

Martyn.

Not applicable
Author

Hey Martyn,

Is there any way to map sheet name with the username (who accessed it). Below is the table columns I am trying to get.

Dashboard Name, User Name, Sheet ID, Sheet Name, Time-stamp

Regards,
Janaki
martynlloyd
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Lynda, did you solve your problem?

Here is a way to grab the data - you will need to parse the audit string to get the sheet name

Audit:
LOAD

[Server Started] as AuditSS,
Timestamp as AuditTime,
Year(Timestamp) & Week(Timestamp) as Week,
Document,
SubFieldMid( Document , Index(Document, '\', -1) +1) , '.', 1)  as DocumentName,
Type,
TextBetween(User,'\','') as DocumentUser,
Message as Audit
FROM
\\[SERVER]\[Log Folder]\Audit_[SERVER]_2015*.log
(
txt, utf8, embedded labels, delimiter is '\t', msq);

Kind regards,

Marty.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot Martyn. I was able to resolve the issue.

Can I ask a question? When I load the Audit logs and get only Type=Sheet, if there is only one sheet the dashboard doesn't track the navigation. If I include any sheet activity then I am able to understand that some user visited that particular dashboard. Not sure why that happens?

Regards,

Janaki

martynlloyd
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Janaki,

Yes, that's an odd one - you can always create a hidden sheet in your documents to make sure you have a minimum of 2...

Regards,

Marty.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Martyn,

I tried creating a hidden sheet, a blank sheet, using the "Activate Sheet" trigger, but nothing helps. So finally I added an Intro sheet.

Also lot of users within my company generally try to download tables in the dashboard. So if I have only one sheet and the user is navigating within that sheet, the Audit log doesn't track that if I put Type=Sheet.

Anyway thanks for responding.

Regards,

Janaki