Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Use $Field to get the COUNT() of members in each Field

I have this data:

LOAD * INLINE [

Country, Population

Portlandia, 1

Girlana, 2

Festonville, 3

];

LOAD * INLINE [

Country, Square Footage

Portlandia, 100

Girlana, 200

Festonville, 300

Bombast, 300

];

I want to see this table:

$Field{Count of Distinct Members in that $Field}
Country4
Population3
Square Footage3

I tried using an expression like this:

COUNT([$($Field)])

But it didn't work...

Notice I don't want this:

$FieldCOUNT($Field) // COUNT of Tables in which that $Field appears
Country2
Population1
Square Footage1
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Use a pick/match combination.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I also tried this:

$(=COUNT([$($Field)]))

I'm not sure if the $($Field) is working how I expect, even this Expression doesn't produce anything:

='$($Field)'

And even if I make my own data, (rather than using System Field ($Field))...

LOAD * INLINE [

Field

Country

Square Footage

Population ];

...it doesn't work how I expect...

='$(Field)'

I can do simple concatenation:

'' & Field

or

'' & $Field

That's fine, but I want to treat each $Field value as if it were a "fld" so I can pass it to COUNT(...)

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can't change the expression per dimension line (though you can use a pick/match method to pick the right distinct field count per dimension value).

If you are just interested in the field distinct value counts, go to Setting - Document Properties - Tables.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks -- I'm also interested in MAX() for each $Field. So it's a general problem. And it's *very theoretical*, I can think other ways around this... But I'm just curious.

As you say, "can't change expression per dimension line" -- I think you're right. At least, if I just use a plain Text Object, whose value is

*Edit*

=COUNT($(vField))

Where vField is

$(=$Field)

Then, *when I click on an (ONLY) specific $Field value*, the Text Object will show me the correct count; i.e. if I click on "Country" then the Text Object shows 4.

My brain must not be working, I thought the exact purpose of Dimensions vs Expression is to allow the Expression to be evaluated in the "context" of *each* Dimension (line)

sunny_talwar

This seems to work only if you select the field. May be somebody can expand on the idea:

=SubStringCount(Concat({1}DISTINCT $(='[' & $Field & ']'), '|'), '|') + 1

Not applicable
Author

So I think it's easier to do this:

A plain Text Object, whose value is

=COUNT($(vField))

Where vField is

$(=$Field)

Then it works as in your example.

But how to get the COUNT to appear in a Listbox or Table -- for *each* Dimension?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Use a pick/match combination.

Not applicable
Author

Just as you said -- must use Pick/Match. Quite ugly, but it works! Thanks.         

Not applicable
Author

And it's not so terribly ugly, once it "one-level" evaluates the string part, the result is just mapping each $Field to the correct expression.

Pick( Match($Field, 'Country','Population','Square Footage') , Count( DISTINCT [Country]), Count(DISTINCT [Population]), Count(DISTINCT [Square Footage]))

Have you used this technique elsewhere @swuehl?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can use similar e.g. when you need aggregation with set analysis that looks at current dimension values.