Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Use different dimension when calculating an expression

I have a straight table with a single dimension "Client.Subproduct" and several expressions "sum(Revenue)", "count(customers)", etc. ... I want to add a new expression which ignores my dimension ("Client.Subproduct") as well as any selections, and instead gives me the sum of Revenue for Client.Product where Industry equals A.  I tried the following:

=Aggr(sum({1<Industry={'A'}>} Total <Client.ProductRevenue), Client.Product,Client.SubProduct)

If you imagine a raw data table which looks like this:

Client.SubProduct       Client.Product       Industry     Revenue

A                                       F                           A               2

B                                       F                           A               4

C                                       F                           A               6

D                                       F                           A             10

E                                       F                           B              20

In my final table, the expression looks correct for rows where dimension = A, B, C, D ... but for rows where dimension = E, the expression appears as null ... I think this happens because there is no record in the data where SubProduct = E, Product = F, and Industry = A ... however, the requirement is to sum Revenue for Client.Product where Industry equals A (i.e., I don't care about Subproduct for this expression)

Hope that's not too confusing, not sure how unique this case is ... really appreciate any help here.  Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Try ALL instead of {1}.

{1} still follows the dimensions you use in your table. ALL simply takes ALL data and even ignores dimensions in a chart.

May you live in interesting times!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Try ALL instead of {1}.

{1} still follows the dimensions you use in your table. ALL simply takes ALL data and even ignores dimensions in a chart.

May you live in interesting times!
Not applicable
Author

wow ... can't believe it's that simple.  Thanks so much.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Just be aware that ALL is a qualifier that may not be supported in future versions (well, it's been there for ages):

In previous QlikView versions, the all qualifier may occur before an expression. This is equivalent to using {1} total. In such a case the calculation will be made over all the values of the field in the document, disregarding the chart dimensions and current selections. (The same value is always returned regardless of the logical state in the document.) If the all qualifier is used, a set expression cannot be used, since the all qualifier defines a set by itself. For legacy reasons, the all qualifier will still work in this QlikView version, but may be removed in coming versions.

{1} TOTAL  is the equivalent to ALL