cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nrq
Contributor III
Contributor III

User Chooses Subset of Data Upon Opening App to View

Say you have an application which has sales data from all over the United States. You have hundreds of sales agents that use this application that are from different areas around the country.

Is it possible to have a pop-up upon opening the application from Access Point using Ajax which forces the user to select which Region they are from (West, Southwest, Central, Northeast) and then after their selection the application will load with data only from the region they selected?

I understand this is very similar to just having a filter for Region that users can use freely but I am curious if the above "forced" approach is possible. Of course another option would be to create separate QVWs for each of the four Regions' data and then tell users to use the one for their Region.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
avinashelite

Okay actually in the app it will have all the data i.e. in your e.g all the region data . based on the access what you have defined it will reduce the data according to specific region and  render the data .

App will still hold the complete data 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

Have you considered using Section Access on your application? It can automatically slice the data set per user when the user opens the application (no selections needed).

avinashelite

If the sales persons need to see only their region data and not entitled to see other region then Section Access is the best approach !! else in the app you could create a pop up using the hide/show and allow them to choose only specific region

Section access example 

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Documents/QlikView-Section-Access-Examples/ta-p/1492719

nrq
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the reply. I have not used Section Access before. It looks promising and I will look into it more.

I am curious, is there also a benefit to the performance of the application on the QV server when using Section Access?

For example, if there is 10 users all using the application I mentioned in my original post at the same time with data from every region loaded into it versus 10 users in the same scenario but with Section Access so they're only seeing data for their particular region – does the latter option with Section Access put less strain on my QV server because of less data or does it not matter?

avinashelite

Yes , your correct . With section access you will have to maintain only 1 application rather than having multiple versions of the same 

nrq
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I'm asking for the same application. The application with Section Access enabled so users only see 1 Region worth of data versus no Section Access so they see all Region worth of data.

Does the application with Section Access enabled put less strain on the QV server or does it not matter?

avinashelite

Okay actually in the app it will have all the data i.e. in your e.g all the region data . based on the access what you have defined it will reduce the data according to specific region and  render the data .

App will still hold the complete data