Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cassidyd90
Contributor
Contributor

User Input Variable direct to WHERE statement in SQL load query

Hi,

I have SQL load scripts with 2 fields in the WHERE part. Is there a way to get user input (multiple strings) into the script, then reload app?

I guess it would be by using variables like 

WHERE material_id IN (

inputVar1

)

AND Location_ID IN (

inputVar2

)

Labels (2)
3 Replies
MendyS
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi @Cassidyd90 

you can enter the value of inputVar1/2  into Excel files and load the excel to model before the SQL load,
if that option possible for you I can expand on that if necessary

Cassidyd90
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi MendyS,

I see what you mean and yes that may be a solution. 

The complication is that I have multiple SQL queries to draw info from cloud database.

Each query will have the var1/2 input (material_id + location_id) but I would prefer not to join the tables in Data Model because they are for very different reasons/checks and will return an enormous amount of extra rows.

It would be 6 SQL queries = 6 tables (unlinked) with 6 sheets representing findings.

Any idea how to go about that? 

*Important that I only load tables with data that matches input or else will have millions of rows in each table.

Thanks for you help.

Cassidyd90
Contributor
Contributor
Author

I think I got it solved.

1 : Create two variables (vMaterial_ID , vLocation_ID) in sheet

2 : In sheet use extension 'Variable input', make two seperate inputs and assign one to each variable.

3: In Data Load Editor in each SQL query have 'WHERE material_ID in ($(vMaterial_ID)) AND location_Id in ($(vPlant_ID))

It worked and only retrieved rows where search matched what I put in variable.

*A caveat more towards the SQL query is they have to be prepared 'like','this',with','commas' and apostophes. So it will be one huge string in the input variable box on the sheet.