Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using VBScript macro

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a 'Getting Started' guide for writing VB macros for QV. Also is there code hinting available in the Edit Module window?

Many thanks,

T

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Actually there is not much of that from Qlik. I guess you might have seen the "API Guide" which is installed locally as a QVW-file if you have a full installation of "Examples and Documents". This is a very comprehensive documentation and help for the entire Object Model (API) accessible both from the VBScript in the Module Editor but also if you attach to QlikView externally.

When it comes to "code hinting" or rather Intellisense I would advice you to rather use Microsoft Office Visual Basic and then get familiar or even code most of your code there and then just converting the Visual Basic into VBScript when you get everything working. That is quite a simple conversion. You gain so much more by having the Visual Basic IDE by being able to use Intellisense, debugging and so forth... For very small VBscript macros it might not be worth the effort.

There are some books ... at least one that I can think of that is Stephen Redmond's "QlikView for Developers Cookbook" that has a "Chapter #5 Advanced Coding" about Macros and VBScript.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Actually there is not much of that from Qlik. I guess you might have seen the "API Guide" which is installed locally as a QVW-file if you have a full installation of "Examples and Documents". This is a very comprehensive documentation and help for the entire Object Model (API) accessible both from the VBScript in the Module Editor but also if you attach to QlikView externally.

When it comes to "code hinting" or rather Intellisense I would advice you to rather use Microsoft Office Visual Basic and then get familiar or even code most of your code there and then just converting the Visual Basic into VBScript when you get everything working. That is quite a simple conversion. You gain so much more by having the Visual Basic IDE by being able to use Intellisense, debugging and so forth... For very small VBscript macros it might not be worth the effort.

There are some books ... at least one that I can think of that is Stephen Redmond's "QlikView for Developers Cookbook" that has a "Chapter #5 Advanced Coding" about Macros and VBScript.

marcus_sommer

A very good overview and many examples offered the APIGuide.qvw in your install-folder or here: APIguide.qvw. If you are very new to vbscript you might better start with a starter-book on vba/vbs. Helpful are also many posting here in the community like this one: Useful Qlikview Macros

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Hi Petter,

How should I go about working on my scripts in Visual Studio? I came across an EnvDTE class and tried using that however it kept giving me an issue so I was wondering if you have ever used VS for scripting and had anything to share.

Many thanks,

T

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Actually Visual Studio is a third option and not the one I suggested as an alternative option which was using Microsoft Office VBA IDE in for instance Excel.

But it is also possible to use Visual Studio. Then you have to select a supported language like C# or VB.NET and then make a reference in your project to the QlikView COM  Type Library called "QlikView 11.20 Type Library".

The top level object then becomes "QlikView".