Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using variables in expressions

Hi,

Can anybody please help me?

Due to a system upgrade, I need to consolidate sales data from two sources, "Old Sales Data" and "New Sales Data".

Simply loading both as "Sales" in my load script causes problems.

I've created a variable, $(Total Sales), being the sum of "Old Sales Data" plus the sum of "New Sales Data", which works fine.

The following expressions:

Sum (if (InMonth (Date, Today(), 0), [Old Sales Data])) and Sum (if (InMonth (Date, Today(), 0), [New Sales Data]))

also work fine.

I now want to use the same expression using my Total Sales variable, something like  Sum (if (InMonth (Date, Today(), 0), $(Total Sales))), but cannot get it to function.

Sum (if (InMonth (Date, Today(), 0), [Old Sales Data])) + Sum (if (InMonth (Date, Today(), 0), [New Sales Data])) is the only way I have so far been able to return the value I require. This seems to be unnecessarily cumbersome. If I can use the variable then changing nearly a hundred expressions in my file can be simply achieved with the expressions editor, rather than a laborious longhand process.

Any help or suggestions on alternative management would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

0 Replies