Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours - Bring your Ideation questions- May 15th, 11 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
antonaks
Creator II
Creator II

Variables from Excel

I ask for help in working with variables.

I load variables from an Excel file.
For example, vFact and vPlan. After I begin to conduct mathematical operations on them, the result behaves quite strangely.

For example, the expression =$(vFact) / $(vPlan) displays a huge number, although if you take the value of each variable separately, everything is fine.

17 Replies
antonaks
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Sorry.

If vFact / vPlan I get NULL.

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Actually I've tested in my end and it's working as expected. Can you share QVW to investigate.

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
antonaks
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Unfortunately, I can not send the current qvw.
But I managed to solve the problem.

If you put the variables and the operator one by one with a new line, then everything works.

Like this:

$(FactSales_CM_TD_Exec)

/

$(PlanSales_CM_TD_Exec)

Kind of weird...

Anil_Babu_Samineni

I doubt, How function works in engine(QIX) level. Let me share some inputs

$(FactSales_CM_TD_Exec)  = Sum(Sales)/10

PlanSales_CM_TD_Exec = Sum(Sales1) / 20

When we are doing

$(FactSales_CM_TD_Exec) / $(PlanSales_CM_TD_Exec)

Sum(Sales)/10 / Sum(Sales1)/10 // Here, engine works as alternative of division to each

($(FactSales_CM_TD_Exec)) / ($(PlanSales_CM_TD_Exec))

(Sum(Sales)/10) / (Sum(Sales1)/10) // Here, engine works as expected because of parenthesis we are division

Does this make sense, I am assuming same thing in your file. If you share some related information at least we will try our best.

Note - If you happy with the answer, Please mark your response as correct answer and other helpful where you fell help.

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
antonaks
Creator II
Creator II
Author

By trial and error, I came to this result.

I do not understand why, but if you write each variable in a new line, it works as it should.

// Not work

$(FactSales_CM_TD_Exec) / $(PlanSales_CM_TD_Exec)

// Good work

$(FactSales_CM_TD_Exec)

/

$(PlanSales_CM_TD_Exec)

// If use braces, they must be write in new line too

// Good work (if use braces)

(

$(FactSales_CM_TD_Exec)

/

$(FactChecks_CM_TD_Exec)

)

/

(

$(PlanSales_CM_TD_Exec)

/

$(PlanChecks_CM_TD_Exec)

)

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Just to know where you are trying this? In fact, If you share some sample load variable expression to qlikview. Then that would be great. I am sorry May be i am not helps you this time

antonaks
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I'll give you an example, just a little later. Now very busy. So please forgive me.

antonaks
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I put an example. If you have questions please ask

Example_pic.png