Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weighted arithmetic mean avoiding duplicates

Hi all,

I need to do a weighted arithmetic mean something like: (a*weight(a)+b*weight(b) +....) / (weight(a)+weight(b) +...). I am able to do this but the problem are the duplicates. I will explain further:

Product line, Year-Quarter, Subregion, Weight, Target

Alpha, FY17-Q4, Spain, 12, 50

Alpha, FY17-Q4, Portugal, 15, 70

Alpha, FY17-Q4, Norway, 13, 80

Alpha, FY17-Q4, Dennmark, 18, 60

I want to represent the Target of the Region Europe( Iberia(Spain+Portugal) + North Europe(Norway+Dennmark) ), so i need to do: (12*50+15*70+13*80+18*60) / (12 +15+13+18).

To do this i have this expression:

sum(Target * Weight)/sum(Weight)

This is not working, i think that becose of the duplicates. I tried to use Distinct in the load script but it is not working (the scripts is huge and messy, someone made it a long time ago and left that monster as a present).

Is there a way to make the sum but only one value of Target and Weight for each SubRegion??

Thanks for the help,

I can explain further if needed.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

May be this

Sum(Aggr(Target * Weight, [Product line], [Year-Quarter], SubRegion))/Sum(Aggr(Weight, [Product line], [Year-Quarter], SubRegion))

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

How about this?

Sum(TOTAL (Weight * Target)) / Sum(TOTAL Weight)

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
Anil_Babu_Samineni

Or this?

Sum(TOTAL <Subregion> (Weight * Target)) / Sum(TOTAL <Subregion> Weight)

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
sunny_talwar

May be this

Sum(Aggr(Target * Weight, [Product line], [Year-Quarter], SubRegion))/Sum(Aggr(Weight, [Product line], [Year-Quarter], SubRegion))

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Either of them is working. I think that the problem is that for each Subregion there are around 200 duplicates of the weight. If i could only use 1 I think it would work. I also tried Sum(DISTINCT (Weight * Target)) / Sum(DISTINCT Weight) but sometimes the weights have the same value so it causes problems.

Thanks,

Lluís

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Expected result from given data?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This: (12*50+15*70+13*80+18*60) / (12 +15+13+18).

As I said the problem is that there are many duplicates of the weights for each subregion (I dont understand where they come from).

sunny_talwar

Did you give this a shot?

or this

Sum(Aggr(Target * Weight, SubRegion))/Sum(Aggr(Weight, SubRegion))

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This totally worked!! Thanks!!

I will leave this link just in case someone (like i did) needs further info about Aggr Aggr() function

Thanks toboth of you!