Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

What is a session?

Hi guys,

This may be not an inteligent question, but...

What is a session? how is defined?

A specific user opening a specific document is a session?

Thanks.

4 Replies
isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Aldo > I think the answer to your question depends on the context. As far as the QVS sessions log is concerned, one record = one user accessing one document.

In the context of Session CAL's, a session is the same, of course unless it lasts longer than specified period of time (I believe two hours but may be mistaken) before another Session CAL is consumed.

Does this answer your question? -Isaiah

Not applicable
Author

Hi Isaiah

The question is partially answered.

The issue is that my server crahed. I reinstalled it and it seems to be working right, but I need to avoid a

new crash before it happens, so I am trying to learn which are the most relevant point or parameters to take

in care in order to prevent problems.

I downloaded the QV Server Monitoring, and trying to analyze the charts, but I have a number of questions:

.- What is a Session in terms of QV Monitoring model?
What's the meaning of "Maximum # of concurrent sessions" ?
What's the meaning of "Maximum # of Concurrent Users"?
What are the differences between the two definitions above?

.- What's the meaning of the info in Chart "How many overall times does the QlikView Server get opened"

.- What is a tunnel connection? A client-Server failed connection?

.- What is an Anonymous Session?

.- About CPU Spent, what is (s)? which is the unit to measure that? which should be a problematic value?

.- What's the meaning of "Caught ... exception in: .\ChartFunctions.cpp at 3038" What should I do with that?

.- About Performance, what's the difference between "Used Docs" and "Docs inMemory" ?

Thanks in advance,
Aldo.

Not applicable
Author

I just got an Google Key, and I inserted the code at the Google tab Scrip.

The script runs, but no map is shown...

What is going on?

Thanks

isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III

Aldo - I realized I never chimed back in on this one.  I'll answer your questions as best as I can; I hope this provides some help.

What is a Session in terms of QV Monitoring model?
I understand a session as any given user accessing any document using any client (so long as the document is opened in QVS)  If I have three browser windows open accessing the same document simultaneously, three sessions.

What's the meaning of "Maximum # of concurrent sessions" ?

The max number of sessions (see above) that QVS will allow at any given time

What's the meaning of "Maximum # of Concurrent Users"?

Discrete users at any given time.  They can however be running multiple sessions

What are the differences between the two definitions above?

Concurrent Users says how many discrete current users (identified individuals) regarless of how many documents (or multiple sessions of the same document.  Concurrent sessions determins how many allowed sessions, independent of the users accessing them.

.- What's the meaning of the info in Chart "How many overall times does the QlikView Server get opened"

Not sure where you're seeing info in Chart.  Guessing related to "info load" (bundled) file.  But regarding times server getting opened, there is only one qvs.exe processing running at any given time.

.- What is a tunnel connection? A client-Server failed connection?

Tunnelling refers to encapsulating the proprietary QVS traffic over HTTP.  Used when using the IE plug-in or fat lient opening a document in server and the client cannot access the QVS TCP port (usually 4747.)  Most commonly because a firewall between the client and server.

.- What is an Anonymous Session?

I believe this is when the user accessing a document cannot be (or is not) identified (NTNAME or username/password.)  Like when accessing an anonymous FTP server.  Generally would be used on a public-facing implementation.

.- About CPU Spent, what is (s)? which is the unit to measure that? which should be a problematic value?

.- What's the meaning of "Caught ... exception in: .\ChartFunctions.cpp at 3038" What should I do with that?

.- About Performance, what's the difference between "Used Docs" and "Docs inMemory" ?
Not sure on these; for the latter I'm guessing Used Docs would refer to how many of the loaded documents have active open sessions.  Usually if a document is opened but the users close their sessions, it remains loaded in memory for fast loading when the next user(s) hit it.