Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwallman
Creator III
Creator III

What is the most reliable way to ensure a user sees all dimension values when there is no data for it?

Hello,

Our users are wanting a table where they can see Sales and Forecast data in a table.

Let's say this table is a multi-dimensional table that shows Sales (Sum(Sales) and Forecast Sum(Forecast) by Country and City.

Naturally in Qlik at the moment if there is no data some of the rows disappear. E.g. If there are no sales in Germany, it's row disappears.

What I want to do is keep all the dimensional values from Country and City column even if there is no data for it from Sales and Forecast measures.

They don't mind seeing a 0 if there is no data.

The users want this visibility when there is no data so I want to build it.

How can I do this?

5 Replies
sunny_talwar

I think the best way to handle this is to generate the missing data

Generating Missing Data In QlikView

mwallman
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Sunny,

Even if it's for some one-off UI tables? E.g. Straight tables?

sunny_talwar

You asked for a most reliable way ... there might be alternatives to handle this...but the most reliable way is to generate missing data

mwallman
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I understand

The other problem I have is this is a mature complicated application already built by another developer so making script changes means more waiting time for the business users in a deadline.

The data model is right and what they want is just for a few UI tables.

sunny_talwar

Again, if the data is completely missing... for example if your chart has three dimensions like below... and these combination doesn't exist... then you have to go back to Generate Missing Data...

Country     City     YearMonth

But let's say you have data like this

Country     City YearMonth     Flag     Sales

Germany     Berlin     Mar 2018     Y     1000

Now in your chart, you are trying to do a Sum(Sales) where Flag = 'N'.... in this case you might be able to show this in your chart with Country, City and YearMonth as dimensions because at least the combination is not completely missing.

In this case, you can do like this

Sum({<Flag = {'N'}>} Sales) + Sum({1} 0)

and uncheck 'Suppress Zero Values' to see Germany Berlin, Mar 2018 show up on the chart with the value 0.

Does this make sense?