Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Which other technology knowledge is required to work in Qlikview , like Java , .net , Java Script , HTML etc etc ?

I am currently working in datawarehousing area and trying to get into Qlikview space.

During the process of Qlikview learning following questions pop in my mind while going through the blogs and forums.

It’ll be great if somebody could guide me on this.

1. I am somewhat comfortable with VB Scripting with my Visual Basic knowledge from the past. Do I need to learn Java Script to work in Qlikview ? or can I manage with VB Script ?
  2. Couple of blogs have seen mentioning of using .net for integration ,do one need to learn .net to working in Qlikview ? or Java ?
  3. Do I need to learn HTML ?
  4. To be precise ,apart from Database knowledge and VB Scripting , which other technology knowledge is required to work in Qlikview , like Java , .net , Java Script , HTML etc etc ?

Thanks in advance for your guidance

Arun

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I will let the experts chime in but Qlik does have it's own syntaxes and way of setup and such but having some background in SQL or some kind of database or a querying language and a good grasp of logic is would be very helpful.

but sounds like you should be able to learn Qlik with your background fairly easily.

Not applicable
Author

I think it depends on what you are planning to do with QlikView.

For most QlikView users, I believe a general understanding of SQL and some scripting background should be fine as QlikView uses a SQL-like scripting language to load and build the data model. Within the application, you will use additional logic and functions to further manipulate objects and data using predefined functions (i.e. Sum(), Aggr(), etc.). You also do have the ability to build VBScript macros if you have specific requirements that cannot be achieved natively.

Out-of-the-box, QlikView can connect to just about any database using ODBC and OLEDB, as well as files such as Excel, text, and web such as HTML/XML. If you have a requirement to extend your application, say by connecting to data sources that QlikView cannot natively connect too (which IMO is going to be rare), you would use .NET to build these connectors.

You also do not need to leverage HTML and Java Script as applications can be published in web format using QlikView server products if you plan to distribute your applications to customers and users.

There are tons of good content out there to learn about QlikView. I would suggest you check out Qlik's free training section as it contains some good tutorials and videos:

QlikView Free Training - Business Intelligence (BI) Reporting Software Solutions | Qlik

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Basic requirements for Qlikview Developer are

sql- Mostly data is from two dimensional data sources like teradata, Sql server,Oracle etc.,- need to retrieve Data(select statements). for Testing: joins, union, is null(), nvl, where,groupby etc.,

Qlikview scripting-   types of loading, functions,qvd's, qvw's

additional requirements: for functions which are not inbuilt in QlikView, However, u want to achieve them then 

VbScript,Jscript- Macros

Java, XML,.Net- Extensions, API's

you may go through examples, demos provided by qlik ; you will get more idea of it.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks guys for the advice..

Thanks a lot Lior Abitbol for the detailed reply.

Greg_Williams
Employee
Employee

Ultimately depends on what you need to do with Qlik. Answers to your questions:

1 - No. If you intend on creating Web Extensions (web objects NOT out-of-the-box to Qlik), then you can create with Javascript.

2 - .Net - No. .Net is technology used for installation but not required for development purposes.

3 - No. Again, if you decide to build a web extension, Yes...but average user does not do this.

4 - SQL is a nice to have...QlikView Script is VERY similar to SQL syntax. What's Qlik Script > it's a proprietary scripting used to augment the existing SQL statement initially created by the use of a wizard or copy and paste from SQL already in existence.

Summary: It's good to know SQL. If you aren't building web extension objects - you don't need to know javascript. If you aren't going to interact with any of the APIs (i.e. Qlik SDK), then you don't need to really know VBScript.

Not applicable
Author

thanks for the detailed reply.