Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does a field take too long to refresh?

Hi Everyone,

I am having a field(Catalog) which is a dimension taken in a cyclic group which when selected to display values is taking too long to refresh. The other dimensions(fields) are working fine in displaying the values.

The Dimension and Expressions are just plain field names without any computations.

16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

are your expressions too are without computations?

using sum or Count or any other computation function for expression might be faster

also: if you have an Expression which is not an Expression, Change it to dimension

CELAMBARASAN
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Make sure the Table which has field Catalog and Table which has the field you used in Expression has linked.

Celambarasan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The expressions are computed as you have stated using sum, count, aggr etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

They are linked via a Fact Table named "VBRK"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Guys,

Does anybody has an answer?

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It is much easier to give you a good hint if you give us much more information about your specific application and where you seem to have this performance issue. Like:

- What do you mean by "too long"? Is it three seconds, thirty seconds, or three minutes?

- How many values does the Catalog-field have? Both in total and distinct? Is it a text-field?

- Are there any data-islands in your data model? Unconnected/unassociated data?

- How many rows and columns does your fact table have?

- Which type of Sheet Object do you use where you have your performance issue?

- How many rows does this Sheet Object visualize?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

To answer your question

-It is taking around 20 minutes of time to refresh everytime I select the particular dimension from a cyclic group.

- It is alphanumeric field with a hyphen in between the text and numeric. Total field values=832590, Distinct=832590

ex: 95032-236-calcium chloride.

- There are some data islands available but the data in those is not related to the requirement. Unconnected

-Fact table has rows :10509691, fields : 171

-It is a straight table

- The straight table visualize 15 rows and 15 columns at a time with vertical and horizontal scroll bars with a total of  832590 rows and 19 columns

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

As you haven't mentioned it I assume that you are not using DIRECT DISCOVERY - right?

Are you running this on a Server or directly on a Desktop? What are the specifications for this/these?

12 million rows with 171 fields could be a demanding fact table - and the dimension table of nearly a million rows is not exactly small either. At least I would make sure that the field that connects the dimension table (Catalog) is connected with a numeric field which is not alphanumeric. You can create this field with the help of AutoNumber()-function:

AutoNumber( Catalog , 'CatalogNum' ) AS CatalogNum

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

yes we are not using Direct Discovery. We are running this on a server with 144GB RAM. The "catalog" is a field in dimension table "MARA" which is connected to the fact table via a field "system" which is a numeric field. Also this is the only field in cyclic group creating such a problem, all the other fields are refreshing within a second. One more thing which I forgot to mention earlier is that this particular field is also showing only one value in the expression fields. I have attached a screenshot for your reference.

req..PNG