Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPrabhu
Contributor
Contributor

Wildcards metadata label for a field in Table Viewer

Hi There,

Can anybody help me in understanding below one?

"Wildcards" metadata label for a field in Table Viewer

What does it mean? How can I get rid of it?

Untitled.png

Thanks!

Labels (2)
6 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I've never seen that on any QV document I have worked on. What version of QV? Can you paste some more of the table viewer so i can see the message in some context?

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

No mention of it in the Help either:

Table Viewer

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
SPrabhu
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Yep, I understand. Here you go...

[cid:image001.png@01D4FA7C.21397790]

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hey guys, by any chance is that table created in the load script via a wildcard from multiple files?  Hopefully that makes sense, what I mean is something along the lines of Load * from *.csv or something along those lines.  If so, that is the only thing I have run across that might explain it.  I am trying to find some further information, but not sure I will have any luck, but I wanted to see if the above might get us on track.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

This tag appears if you have a field containing a wild card. For instance, if you use the following script

// ================
Star is *;

AB:
Load * Inline
[A, B
a1, b1
all, *];

BC:
Load * Inline
[B, C
b1, c1
b2, c2];
// ================

you will see that the field B gets the wildcard tag.

This is a very old feature, introduced already in QuikView 1, when we couldn't handle NULL values and missing values well. Then we often put such wildcards in the data to be able to handle missing values.

I would recommend not using it today - I am not sure it works completely any longer...

HIC

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

PS. To get rid of it, remove the "Star is *;" from the script.

HIC