cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

cannot connect to Oracle using ODBC

Hi,

I read all entries in the forum regarding the issue with connecting to Oracle does not work.

I have Qlikview 11.20 SR11 64bit and Qlik Sense 1.1.0,

Oracle 10.2 Client, 32 bit

Windows 7 64 bit...

All programs I use on my machine, do not have any issue connecting to the Oracle DB.

The TNS_Admin and Oracle_home variables are set,

tnsping and sqlplus are working fine,

using the 'Tools - ODBC Administrator 32 bit...' menu entry in the Edit Script of QV

and creating a new ODBC DSN entry, it works fine when testing it.

But, when I select 'Force 32 Bit', select the new ODBC entry I just created,

click on 'Test Connection', type in my credentials,

I always get this error:

TNS could not resolve the connect identifier specified

Any idea what this could be?

Roland

4 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

You can get this error if you have defined it as a User DSN (and have the same name among the 64-bit data sources). Delete all your User DSNs, and define the data source as a System DSN.

See The Great ODBC Confusion

HIC

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

thx, but I do not have User DSN entries and no 64 bit entries...

so, we can exclude this as the reason, and, the doc you mentioned, I saw and read that one...

Roland

jsakalis
Contributor III
Contributor III

I always have a difficult time getting connections to work with some DBMSs, including Oracle and I always forget how I got it to work last time...

Can you please share the snippet of the TNSNAMES.ora file that describes the connection you are having problems with? Make sure to copy at least one line before and one line after the connection name.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

If your problem didn't solve please try to download this ODBC driver for Oracle 32\64-bit and read connection guide in order to tune driver correctly