Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdurso26
Contributor
Contributor

date compare calculation

Hi all!  I'm looking for help in comparing the difference between two date fields to a third, static number.  I have two fields (APPT_DTTM and APPT_CANC_DTTM) that I need to find the difference between, then take that difference and compare it to a static number (24 hours).  What would be the best way to go about this?  The APPT_DTTM and APPT_CANC_DTTM fields are in the same format (example: 7/6/2009 9:28:44 AM shows as 40000.416666667 without a Timestamp conversion).

What I'm trying to do is show the percentage of appointments that have been cancelled within 24 hours (APPT_CANC_DTTM) of the scheduled appointment time (APPT_DTTM).  To do this I think I would need to find the difference between the two times, compare that difference to 24 hours, and return a "1" if the difference is within 24 hours of the scheduled appointment time and a "0" if it is outside of 24 hours of the scheduled appointment time.  I can then sum all the "1"'s and divide that by the total number of appointments to get my percentage; this part I can do, it's just getting those "1"'s I can't figure out.

Any help you can provide would be HUGELY appreciated!!

Thanks,

Matt

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Your sample number for a timestamp returns 0706//2009 10:00:00 on my system, but basically, I think you should be fine with something like

=Sum( If( Fabs(APPT_DTTM - APPT_CANC_DTTM) <= 1,1,0))

Then divide by the number of appointments.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

for time difference maybe you can use  the "-"

1 is 24 hours = 1 day

if time difference >=1 then 1 else 0

if((APPT_DTTM - APPT_CANC_DTTM )>=1, 1, 0)

MarcoWedel

maybe

-(APPT_DTTM-APPT_CANC_DTTM<=1)

or

Sign(Floor(APPT_DTTM-APPT_CANC_DTTM))

(provided always APPT_DTTM>=APPT_CANC_DTTM)

regards

Marco

mdurso26
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks for your reply!  I need to do the comparison part to other times in addition to 24 hours.  I'm looking to compare the difference to 24 hours, 16 hours, 12 hours, 8 hours, 4 hours, 2 hours, and 1 hour within the scheduled appointment time.  Would I do that like below?

24 hours

if((APPT_DTTM - APPT_CANC_DTTM )>=1, 1, 0)

16 hours

if((APPT_DTTM - APPT_CANC_DTTM )>=0.6667, 1, 0)

12 hours

if((APPT_DTTM - APPT_CANC_DTTM )>=0.5, 1, 0)

8 hours

if((APPT_DTTM - APPT_CANC_DTTM )>=0.3334, 1, 0)

4 hours

if((APPT_DTTM - APPT_CANC_DTTM )>=0.1667, 1, 0)

2 hours

if((APPT_DTTM - APPT_CANC_DTTM )>=0.0833, 1, 0)

1 hour

if((APPT_DTTM - APPT_CANC_DTTM )>=0.0416, 1, 0)

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Exactely, the fractional part of a timestamp or time interval is stating part of a day, i.e. part of 24 hours.

12 hours = 12/24 = 1/2

2 hours = 2/24 = 1/12

etc.

edit: And remember to use aggregation functions if you need to aggregate multiple records, e.g. in a chart expression or text box.

Like the suggested Sum(If( ....)) above.