Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gerrycastellino
Creator III
Creator III

if sum syntax

What is the proper way to structure this is statement, I'm getting the error below when I do not have a period dimension selected:

if_image.PNG

if_image2.PNG

=if(isnull(only(PeriodBlockChoice)),sum([Day # Envelopes Sent] * _FiscCurrYTDFlag)  ,sum([Day # Envelopes Sent] * $(=only(PeriodBlockChoice))) )

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

OK, I understand... So, here is the problem: when you don't have the Period Block Choice selected, the function only returns NULL(), and the whole expression looks like this:

=if(isnull(only(PeriodBlockChoice)),sum([Day # Envelopes Sent] * _FiscCurrYTDFlag)  ,sum([Day # Envelopes Sent] * <null>)) )

which is of course incorrect. What if you replace the second ONLY() with a MaxString() function? This way, the formula will remain syntactically correct, and the logic will be preserved because of the IF condition:

=if(isnull(only(PeriodBlockChoice)),sum([Day # Envelopes Sent] * _FiscCurrYTDFlag)  ,sum([Day # Envelopes Sent] * $(=MaxString(PeriodBlockChoice))) )

cheers,

OlegTroyansky

Check out my new book QlikView Your Business!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Try enclosing the ONLY() function in the RangeSum() function - this way, the possible NULL value will get replaced with a zero, and the expression will be valid:

=if(isnull(only(PeriodBlockChoice)),sum([Day # Envelopes Sent] * _FiscCurrYTDFlag)  ,sum([Day # Envelopes Sent] * $(=rangesum(only(PeriodBlockChoice)))) )

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

gerrycastellino
Creator III
Creator III
Author

not quite,  the rangesum returns '0,1'.  I need it to return the value of the my period flag, ie:

_MTDFlag 

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

OK, I understand... So, here is the problem: when you don't have the Period Block Choice selected, the function only returns NULL(), and the whole expression looks like this:

=if(isnull(only(PeriodBlockChoice)),sum([Day # Envelopes Sent] * _FiscCurrYTDFlag)  ,sum([Day # Envelopes Sent] * <null>)) )

which is of course incorrect. What if you replace the second ONLY() with a MaxString() function? This way, the formula will remain syntactically correct, and the logic will be preserved because of the IF condition:

=if(isnull(only(PeriodBlockChoice)),sum([Day # Envelopes Sent] * _FiscCurrYTDFlag)  ,sum([Day # Envelopes Sent] * $(=MaxString(PeriodBlockChoice))) )

cheers,

OlegTroyansky

Check out my new book QlikView Your Business!