Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III

is there any other alternate best option to export charts to excel other than Macros....???

Hi Experts ,

we have a around 50 sheets in our project and we are also having different charts in Each sheet here our requirement is Based on the Users wish they want to Export the Image(charts) to Excel after selecting Different Filters.

We can achieve this using macros But we have to Write macro for each and Every chart. But we are in great confusion that Writing many macros in a application is not a good approach , not recommended too.

Is there any other best Approach to achieve this.

Please respond if you guys know any better approach.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

dhasharadh.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I am not a fan of macros in this case and also kind of feel it's not the appropriate use of a Business Intelligence tool to immediately dump all of the information out to Excel.

I know it's a battle with the users to change the way they think but this example is taking the intelligence out of Business Intelligence.  QlikView is NOT a report writer and our goal as developers should be to help guide the users to the best designs.  In my opinion this is one of the differences between a developer and a Senior Developer that they can help guide the users to best design be it avoiding a report with 100s of columns in it or simply exporting everything to Excel.

Is it possible to work with the users to find out how they actually work and what they do in Excel once they export?  Maybe that functionality can be done and done much better in QlikView?

Maybe not - sometimes users are too set in their ways.

It maybe possible to write a macro to loop through all chart objects or a set of chart objects using a loop but I am against it for many reasons.

If their use case is to simply to produce Excel reports what is the value of QlikView?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

This is a perfect use case for Nprinting.

dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III
Author

thanks Dan,

But How to Use it , I think We need to buy the license for that and how much they charge to get the license.

Need to Discuss with Users for this.

If incase they are not ready to Buy the License then the above requirement is Out of Box....???

or any other Alternative...??

Best Regards

Dhasharadh.

dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Dan ,

Or is it possible to Write a Single macro which is used to Export all the charts ( One at a time not all at the same time ) based on the User selection.

I think that Will be better if any one can come up with a Single Macro which is used to Export all the charts in the Application. with one macro app performance is not much effected.

Any Help on this...??

Regards

Dhasharadh

dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I am not a fan of macros in this case and also kind of feel it's not the appropriate use of a Business Intelligence tool to immediately dump all of the information out to Excel.

I know it's a battle with the users to change the way they think but this example is taking the intelligence out of Business Intelligence.  QlikView is NOT a report writer and our goal as developers should be to help guide the users to the best designs.  In my opinion this is one of the differences between a developer and a Senior Developer that they can help guide the users to best design be it avoiding a report with 100s of columns in it or simply exporting everything to Excel.

Is it possible to work with the users to find out how they actually work and what they do in Excel once they export?  Maybe that functionality can be done and done much better in QlikView?

Maybe not - sometimes users are too set in their ways.

It maybe possible to write a macro to loop through all chart objects or a set of chart objects using a loop but I am against it for many reasons.

If their use case is to simply to produce Excel reports what is the value of QlikView?

marcus_sommer

An alternative might be to create the data-structures from the charts within the script and store them as csv which then could serve as external data-ressource for excel. But better would be you would find other ways to empower the users to get the needed insights - like suggested from dgreenberg.

- Marcus