Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

licences Issues

Hi

First of all i hope my question is relevant to this forum.

I started few monthe ago to developed in QV using Personal Edition, and i found it very usful BI tool.

Now i have friend who has a small business and ask me to try and build for him some reports.

My question is :

I want to take the source file from him (Excel) and develope in my computer ( in my own time)

but after i finish how do i transfer the QVD to his business computer ?

from what i understand i can not do that since i use a Personal Edition , what shoul i do ?

do I need to purchase a licence ? do we both need to purchase a licence?

If the answer is yes ,which licence ?

Thank you for your patience

3 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hi kabra1969,

this forum is more related to general questions regarding QlikCommunity, I think the 'Development' forum would have probably been more adequate for your question (but nevermind, no really big issue IMO).

I assume you've read the personal edition FAQ already (if not: http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-1799), so you are probably are aware of the one big restriction if working with the PE:

QlikView Personal Edition works with local files only; you cannot share your QlikView file with another unregistered user, or load a QlikView file from another user (except for specially modified files, more on that here).

This means that you are generally not able to open other's documents (with the exception of PE enabled documents like QV demo apps). But there is the option to use the so called 'document recovery' few times to open other's docs anyway.

So, if you just want to try, you should be able to create a QV app with your PE and send the qvw file to your friend. He should be able to open this app using a document recovery with his PE, losing one recovery attempt.

So you should at least be able to get started and see if your friend gets interested to go on.

You will probably run soon into above mentioned PE restrictions if you go on developing and sending QV apps out to others, eventually wanting to open others apps, too. You might be able to work out some unidirectional work flow that will not need full licenses, but chances are that this will break in a moment where it's most unwanted

(I never actually tried to do something like this).

So if you are planning to do QV development on a professional basis and your friend wants to use QV also without running into any trouble opening apps, you should think about acquiring at least a desktop client license (one each for you and your friend, though it might be enough if your friend uses a full license, if you don't want to open other's documents.). If your friend wants to use the server / publisher, this will require more expensive licenses.

For the selection of available licenses and their costs, see:

http://www.qlik.com/us/explore/pricing

(The desktop client license should be around the cost of a Named User CAL, but check with your local sales rep).

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Thank you

for your answer.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you

for your answer.