cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rkota
Contributor III
Contributor III

looking to compute difference between columnvalue in pivot view

In this pivot view, I'm trying to compute the difference between the months for each line of the update range.  I'm looking to get the absolute value.  Here is the dimension and expression (just a simple count on the dimension shown in parenthesis.

the expression I'm using to compute totals by moth is not working - it includes all months.  Maybe my approach is wrong.

Sample for on month

Count({<Movemonth = {"$(='>=' & Date((AddMonths(Today(),-3)),'MMMMM'))"}>} unittranid)

Any help/tips to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Not entirely sure, but are you looking to get this?

Count(unittranid) - After(Count(unittranid))

or

Count(unittranid) - Before(Count(unittranid))

or

After(Count(unittranid)) - Count(unittranid)

or

Before(Count(unittranid)) - Count(unittranid)

View solution in original post

10 Replies
sunny_talwar

Not entirely sure, but are you looking to get this?

Count(unittranid) - After(Count(unittranid))

or

Count(unittranid) - Before(Count(unittranid))

or

After(Count(unittranid)) - Count(unittranid)

or

Before(Count(unittranid)) - Count(unittranid)

Rkota
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Worked!!!  Had no idea that such a function called after, before exists.

Thanks a ton for the super timely help.

on another note, how do I count for a the previous month - with/without putting in the literal.  I.E as of today the three prior months are Aug, Sep and Oct.   What would be the expression to get the count for each of these months using an expression

Again, many thanks for your timely help Sunny.

sunny_talwar

Previous month against current month?

Rkota
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

yes please...and make that dynamic - thanks

here's the expression I was using before

Count({<Movemonth = {"$(='>=' & Date((AddMonths(Today(),-3)),'MMMMM'))"}>} unittranid)

sunny_talwar

Anytime you want to bring Previous Month to Today's month, you need to use Above, Below, After, Before function, set analysis is not really a good idea to use here...

sunny_talwar

Also, how do you created Monthmoevment in the script?

Rkota
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thanks again Sunny.  Am beginning to see the same that doing these in qlikview is more work than necessary.  Most of what I do is when I load data from SQL server...I try and use qlik only for presentation.

the Move month based on datename(MONTH, ...) in sql.

should I assume this is better off done when extracting data from the backend?  Defer to your opinion since you are a Qlik expert.

sunny_talwar

Well, here are few things I want to know

1) Are you looking to only look at Period and Period -1 in a chart?

2) Period-1 is shown against Period -1 or Period? (For example, when we did Period - Period-1, we had to bring Period-1 in the same column as Period. Is that what you want?)

3) Movemonth is only month or does it have the date information in it? To check this, create a list box for Movemonth and give it a number representation from the number tab to see if it is a number like 41xxx or is it showing 1, 2, 3, 4 or does it not change at all....?

Rkota
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thanks for the note Sunny.

If I understand you right, here is some feedback to your questions.

1. I'm assuming by Period and Period-1, you mean August, September etc., in my pivot view.  So, yes, I am trying to compute the difference (increase/decrease) between period 1 and period.  Similarly period - 2 and period - 1

2. Movemonth is a string as, I calculate that as part of my SQL output.

Again, thanks for your help.