Hi, it's been routine for me to pull my named license down from our qlikview server to my desktop, but it's not working this time around and we're not sure why.
-On Qlikview Management Console, System->Setup->security I have NTFS authorization (Windows controls file access) checked.
-My server desktop login id is also present on the list of of ids with named cals.
-I can also access all of the documents on the qlikview accesspoint web browser with my own named login, including ones I did not create.
-I am unable to open documents on my local desktop that I created, or any documents on the network drive that others created.
This happens every couple months or so, and the solution is usually simple:
-I open qlikview on my local desktop, go to file->open in server.
-Connect using Alternate Identity (my user id for the qlikview server environment differs from my user id on my local desktop environment, so I use this and enter my qlikview server credentials to connect to it from my local desktop.)
-pick any qlikview document on the list in the bottom window of the open in server box and open that qvw.
-close the qvw I opened in server.
At this point, my named cal would be recognized in my local qlikview again,and I could open whatever I want from my local desktop again.
But it's not. It used to work fine, but it doesn't now. My name is on the list of users with cals in qlikview management console.
Any idea what could cause this or what I should check into? It seems to have occurred in the last two weeks since I can't open files that were made before then on my local desktop. Engineering is unaware of any changes to the qlikview server environment, and I'm unaware of changes on my local machine, but maybe some external or inbetween something happened? Maybe some little obscure associated file this stuff references?
PS> and qlikview on the qa remote desktop was something I only started using a couple weeks ago, so that is a good candidate for being 'the new thing I did or changed which messed everything else up'.
Your consultant is correct. However, a new request is supposed to always override an old request, so when you re-lease a license it should unlicense the oldest one of the 2 that exist...or so I thought. Would definitely be interested to know if his method works.
Perhaps the oldest one of the two has to have been unused for at least 24 hours like that quarantine period? ☺ (In keeping with the concept of the quarantine period intended to keep people from juggling a license all over the company; though mine is an honest mistake of not knowing that 2 machine limit or realizing the qa machine was possibly taking one of my two slots.)
I’ll drop in a moment with the final results next Monday!
It looks like all I actually had to do was stay out of the qa server's qlikview for at least 24 hours for it to let me pull the license down to the qlikview on my local desktop again. Maybe something was checking to see if one of the two instances had been used not less than 24 hours ago before releasing the cal to the other instance that was requesting it. (This would keep folks from bopping around a million desktops in a day, similar to how the quarantine on the document cals works, but without an explicit need for me to mark something for removal first.)
My qv on my local desktop is saying I have the leased license for 30 days now. I will only use the qa qlikview desktop to initiate new scripts trying to access new tables rather than pull a named cal and existing qlikviews onto it. (Which was kind of the point of that qa desktop anyway- testing new stuff. ) And new stuff I write there should work okay on the desktops with my named cal or off the server.
Steve, really valuable info, thanks! I, for one, didn't know that new lease requests don't override old ones if the old ones were initiated less than 24 hours ago.