Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

open listboxes by search object

Hi Everybody,

I will be appreciated if somebody could help me with my problem. I have many  listboxes with product description. They takes a lot of place and I would like to make them visible only if anybody search them by search object. So, for example if user write in search object '*part of descryption*' and this word is a part of description  in listbox1 and listbox7, they will be activated and visible on sheet, but if user change his selection  and this word doesn't be a part of description listbox1 and listbox7 they disappear.   Is there possible?

Best regards

Ewelina

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Ewelina,

See the attachment and hopefully this is what you need. For now, I've added Multibox to make multiple selections (For Testing purpose only) but you don't need it if you are using the Search Object. Currently, I'm showing 6 different selections i.e. selections from 6 different fields and you can increase as per your requirment.

Good luck!

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com

View solution in original post

7 Replies
IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi EwelinaW,

You can do this by using the data island and dollar sign expansion. Load all the Listbox/Field names into one data island field. Then allow the users to search on this field and based on the search result then use the below expression with the field names.

Your expression should look something like this...

=$(=('[' & Only([%FieldName]) & ']'))

%FieldName is the field name of the data island.

I hope this helps! If you need assistance then please create the sample QVW file with the field names and I'll show you how to implement them.

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com

Not applicable
Author

Hi Deepak,

thank for you for your advice. I have doubts about this solution , because I have a little complicated data model and unfortunately I can't attach it there.  But I try to understand your solution on a test script. I`ve attached this file below.

I have to explain what exactly I want:

In my original model I have few dimension tables loaded from few qvd`s an I want to save this scheme. So in case below I should assume that table Transaction is loaded from QVD1, table Characters from QVD2 and table ASCII from QVD3.  I have 2 sheets: Main and Sheet1. Searching in Main and in Sheet1 are independent (alternate states).

In for example Main  I need to search only in fields/listboxes: expression 1,2,3 from table Transaction, alpha from table Characters and AsciiAlpha from table Ascii (this fields will be also used in other sheets in aplication).

So in Main, in the first step I need only one search object. In search object I write '33'  and click on it and I see on the sheet listbox Expression1 where this value exist. When delete my searching  in Main sheet  searching object is only visible.When I change my search to '0' I see listbox Expression1, Expression2 etc (where this value exist). But my searching on this  field shouldn't have any implications on the data model. As I say before these field should be also used in the other sheets.

I believe that I clearly describe my problem.

I will be appreciate If You could help me.

Best regards

Ewelina

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Ewelina,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I almost understood the requirements but I wanted to reconfirm few things.

1. In Search Object when you type "33" and click on Expression1; do you want to hide all other list boxes or fields in the Main Sheet? or is it okay to show the fields?

2. " But my searching on this  field shouldn't have any implications on the data model" - Does this means you ALWAYS wanted to restrict the search to the Main Sheet?

Please clarify.

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com

Not applicable
Author

Hi Deepak,

thanks for quick reply. At first I relate to your points.

1. When I open the sheet, it should be almost empty (only search object should be visible).

When I type in search object some keyword I would like to have visible in the sheet  a listbox or lisboxes in which this keyword is a part of a field value (any other listboxes should be hidden).

When I don't type anything in search object or I delete my keywords from search object  the listboxes should disapear.

If I could I wish like do it like that: search object like a button which activate exactly theses listboxes that I want, but unfortunately I can't do it in this way in QV11,2

2. Yes, at this moment I want to restrict this solution only to Main sheet (as I mention, I will do it with alternate states).

In one sheet I want to quick search something  in listboxes, but in another sheet I have objects (charts etc.) which contains field values from these listboxes and the data shouldn't change.

I hope that i descripe it clearly.

Best regards

Ewelina

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Ewelina,

See the attachment and hopefully this is what you need. For now, I've added Multibox to make multiple selections (For Testing purpose only) but you don't need it if you are using the Search Object. Currently, I'm showing 6 different selections i.e. selections from 6 different fields and you can increase as per your requirment.

Good luck!

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com

Not applicable
Author

Thank You very much Deepak !  It's working great I should  modify a little your solution to my app, but You are very helpful. Thanks a lot one more time

Best regards

Ewelina

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

That's great Ewelina. I'm glad it works as per you needs. Appreciate your efforts in providing detailed explanation while asking the questions on community.

Good luck!

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com