Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tizianacaem
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

open pdf document from QlikView

Hello everybody,

I want to open a pdf document from a button object in QlikView.
I activated the Control 'Launch' setting the WorkingDirectory (
C:\ ) and filename (File.pdf).

The button works correctly when I use this with my client license, but when I try to use this button on the document published on the server (with server license) returns me an error message 'failed to launch File.pdf '.

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Tiziana

5 Replies
wendywallace
Partner - Contributor III

I had the same issue, here is the resolution:

First, make sure Qlikview has .pdf as an extension with your loaded reader as default.

Second, use the following formula in an expression for a text box, chart or button (as an action):

'=FileName & '<URL>' & FileURL

Where, FileName is the name of the pdf file and FileURL is the file path.

"FileName" can be a text file that contains the list of files.

"FileURL" can be a second text file with the file name and corresponding file path.

This solution works in access point with either the ie or ajax plugin.

Not applicable

Hi Wendy,

sorry, but at the moment I don't understand your suggestion.

To make an example: I have a qvw file in a certain folder and in this folder another folder "Manual" and inside this "Manual" folder I have a document called "Manual.pdf".

What do I have to enter as action if I want to open this PDF out of the QlikView-file by button-push?

Regards,

Torsten

wendywallace

Let me try and clarify. 

In the desktop environment, check Default Programs in Windows to be sure the extension .pdf is listed and has a valid program like Adobe Reader.  (I had this issue in a server environment.  A pdf reader was not installed)

In Qlikview:

Check your User Preferences - Security tab.  I have checked, "Confirm launch from Macro"

Another method that I found to work for adding an action to a button that opens a .pdf is:

I created a spreadsheet that has a list of file names I wanted to launch from within Qlikview and named the field: FILENAME which I loaded after setting the value of "URL" to be the filepath of the documents:

URL = 'filepath' 

(Where filepath is the full path of the file I want to open.)

I then created a button object, and added an action.

Open URL

In the URL field I added this expression:

="URL"&FILENAME

The expression combines the filepath and the filename.  I split them up so I could add multiple files for viewing,

I added a field to my list of documents and name it FILEID. 

The file id can be a brief description or the file, shorter than the full file name and easier to view. 

Then I add a selection list of file ids or names to the Qlikview sheet where the user can select the file id and click the button with the launch action, which opens the file selected. 

Wendy

bumin
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Wendy,

could you send me your example script?

thanks

Bumin

wendywallace

Here is a sample launching a pdf from a button (action) or from an expresion in a table chart.