Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
citizenk
Contributor III
Contributor III

result of avg() dimension differs from expectation

Dear all,

I have difficulties with the AVG() function.

I created an expression which gives me a coverage

Expression "coverage":

Count({$<PCHA_VALUE_GB-={'-'}>}PBGA_BG_NO) / max(aggr(nodistinct Count(PBGA_BG_NO), PAGA_GA_ID))

Now I want to calculate the average of this expression as a dimension but the result differs from the total average I can set in the presentation tab:

Dimension "average"

avg(total aggr(Count({$<PCHA_VALUE_GB-={'-'}>}PBGA_BG_NO) / max(aggr(nodistinct Count(PBGA_BG_NO), PAGA_GA_ID)), PCHA_CHAR_ID, PAGA_GA_ID))

My expectation is that I receive 0,43. Instead I receive 0,3000811.

chartchart

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Labels (4)
18 Replies
citizenk
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

This gives the same result for both PAGA_GA_ID like in the picture above while it should differ per PAGA_GA_ID.
sunny_talwar

Yes it was my bad once again.... remove TOTAL qualifier...

Aggr(
Avg({<PCHA_PUBL = {1}>} TOTAL Aggr(

Count({$<PCHA_VALUE_GB -= {'-'}, PCHA_PUBL = {1}>} PBGA_BG_NO)/
Max({<PCHA_PUBL = {1}>}Aggr(NODISTINCT Count({<PCHA_PUBL = {1}>}PBGA_BG_NO), PAGA_GA_ID))

, PCHA_CHAR_ID, PAGA_GA_ID, PCHA_CHAR_GB))
, PAGA_GA_ID)
citizenk
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks a lot, that does the job!
I hope I can utilise this for all the according calculations I need.
citizenk
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Sunny,

My aplogies for coming up with this topic again but I encounter another issue with this since the values differ.

Having one PAGA_GA_ID selected everything is OK, but having multiple PAGA_GA_ID selected, the values differ and I can't even reproduce how they have been calculated.

avg3.jpgavg4.jpg

My efforts to alter the most outer aggregation in terms of fields to be considered failed and I can't find anything helpful in the community board.

May you assist me once more?

Thanks

sunny_talwar

It would be easier to help if you are able to share your qvw file.

citizenk
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Sunny,

to share the file is rather difficult (company data) and I have no idea how I could break it down best possible. Maybe a further explanation helps:

In this chart I calculate a coverage and my focus is the coverage proposed ch..(..aracteristics)

avg5.jpg

I populated the dimension "coverage all characteristics" successully with the expression in the picture (again here):

=num(Aggr(
Avg({<PCHA_PUBL = {1}>} Aggr(

Count({$<PCHA_VALUE_GB -= {'-'}, PCHA_PUBL = {1}>} PBGA_BG_NO)/
Max({<PCHA_PUBL = {1}>}Aggr(NODISTINCT Count({<PCHA_PUBL = {1}>}PBGA_BG_NO), PAGA_GA_ID))

, PAGA_GA_ID), '##0,0 %')

The oly distinguishing fact between the two columns " coverage all..." and "coverage proposed..." is that proposed needs an additional condition where I delimit the characteristics (PCHA_CHAR_ID) that exceed a certain count since they also exist in another field:

PCHA_CHAR_ID = {"=Count(DISTINCT PCHA_CHAR_ID=PCGA_CHAR_ID) > 1"}

These are the orange columns of the second row and this is what I need the average of.

I think it all comes down to the question where to add this line into the statement more above to make it work since the dimension "coverage all characteristics" is working.

Even when I currently select a certain value, the result is wrong since I expect 45.75% as "coverage proposed..." but end up with 47.3%

avg6.jpg

I hope this helps.

sunny_talwar

What exactly is this saying?

I don't think I understand the issue to be able to respond you with the correct expression.

citizenk
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Sunny,

just to inform you: The passage you mentioned caused more trouble than it helped so I overworked my data model to get rid of that calculation.
Thereby I was able to exchange 

to the much more useable PCGA_PROP = {1} and it now works fine in that particular chart.

=num(Aggr(
Avg({<PCHA_PUBL = {1}, PCGA_PROP={1}>} Aggr(

(Count({$<PCHA_VALUE_GB-={'-'}>}distinct PBGA_BG_NO) + Count({$<PCHA_IRRELEVANT= {1}>}distinct PBGA_BG_NO))
/
max(aggr(nodistinct Count(distinct PBGA_BG_NO), PAGA_GA_ID))

, PAGA_GA_ID), '##0 %')

sunny_talwar

Sounds good. I am glad you managed to resolved this all by yourself 🙂