Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

set analysis by evaluating the variable value

sum ( {$<$(Quintile)={3}>} SellPrice)

I am trying to evaluate a variable in a set analysis and if it is equal to 3, then sum the SellPrice.  It doesn't seem to work.  I think set analysis is expecting a dimension to be evaluate instead?  Any idea?

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can think of set analysis like actually selecting on some fields. You don't select on a variable (well, depart from an inputbox drop list, I am talking of the kind of selections that limit the values in your fields, the selected, possible and excluded states), so this syntax you are using won't work.

You just want to do a check, if a variable's value is equal to a constant, then you want to sum a field.

So all you need is to write it like this:

= if( $(Quintile) = 3, sum(SellPrice) )

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

The if won't work because I want to get an aggregate of SellPrice based on the particular Quintile.  I have some sample data below. Summary data is what I am trying to get to.

PONumberSellPriceQuintile (variable)Sum SellPrice based on Quintile
PO17,0795141,026
PO213,1275141,026
PO381,750381,750
PO4120,8205141,026
Total222,776

Type%% Formula
Quintile10
Quintile20
Quintile337=81,750/222,776
Quintile40
Quintile563=141,026/222,776
swuehl
MVP
MVP

So you have up to 5 variables, Quintile1 to Quintile5? And the user can input some arbitrary values?

Where do you define the third column in your first table, where you link a Quintile variable to a PONumber?

Is this part of your data model?

Not applicable
Author

Quintile is the variable that evaluates various dimensions value and output the result of 1 through 5.  Based on that, I want to add the SellPrice for each one of the 5 Quintile so I can do a weighted average of the whole.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe similar to attached?

I created a simple variable vQuintile for your quintile, just for testing:

if(PONumber='PO3',3,5)

Then I created a data island with field Quintile (1 to 5) as dimension for your Quintile and as expression for the Percentage:

=Sum(aggr(if($(vQuintile)=Quintile,sum(SellPrice)),PONumber,Quintile))/sum(SellPrice)

Hope this helps,

Stefan