Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

sum a value based on finding the most recent date

I have a stock value saved for a number of weeks (aligned in the table with the "week beginning" date). Every week a new value is added with a new date.

I am trying to produce an expression that will always pick the most recent weeks value to display...and this is what I have so far:

=Sum({$<Date={$(=LatestDate)}>}[Value (USD)])

where Latest Date is a variable representing the formula MaxString(Date).

I cannot get this to produce a result even though the variable on its own in a text box returns the latest date OK...

Can somebody please point me in the right direction.

Thanks......

10 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Have you tried enclosing your date into single quotes:

=Sum({$<Date={'$(LatestDate)'}>}[Value (USD)])

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the prompt reply:

Just gave it a go with no luck....

If I type the actual date between the 2 quotes, I get the correct values returned. It just seems to be the way the formula is interacting with the variable....

Not applicable
Author

If I type the actual date between the 2 quotes, I get the correct values returned. It just seems to be the way the formula is interacting with the variable....

Not applicable
Author

Not applicable
Author

swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you remove the label from your chart expression, QV will show the expression itself, with dollar sign expansion being evaluated. What do you see?

Not applicable
Author

With my original expression I see “-“. With the variation you have suggested I see the value $0.....(which I guess means the formula syntax is correct, but is not returning the value I expect)....

Getting closer, but I am still stumped as to why the variable on its own returns the value 8/7/2013, if I input 8/7/2013 into the formula, I get the value I am expecting, but putting the 2 together gives me $0.....

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Have you tried the variable expansion without the equal sign as shown above? And, how does your expression show up exactely in the label? I assume your variable 8/7/2013 is evaluated as numeric expression, so it will return a number near zero.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the continued help.....I'll try to cover as many bases here as possible:

If I enter the expression: =$(LatestDate) - I get 08/07/2013

If I enter: =Sum({$<Date={'08/07/2013'}>}[Value (USD)]) - I get $15,000 (ish)

If I enter: =Sum({$<Date={'$(LatestDate)'}>}[Value (USD)]) - I get $0

If I enter =Sum({$<Date={$(=LatestDate)}>}[Value (USD)]) - I get just - (a dash)