Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

the importance of datawarehouse in QLIKVIEW

HELLO,

I want to know please, is it true that in qlikview we don't really need to build a datawarehouse or a datamart?

And when is it beneficial and important to use Datawarehouse in Qlikview and when it is not needed?

If we dont use datamart or datawarehouse how to historicize data in this case?

and last question compared to other tools, is Qlikview the only one who you can build a BI project without the concept of datawarehouse?

I hope u can answer all the questions it is important to me  thank youuu

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I can't think of any scenario where QlikView really needs a data warehouse.  If a DW is in place already, QV can utilize it of course.

Speaking of the historic data, QlikView can store it in QVD files.  It could be more reliable to have DW for this purpose - but again, it is not absolutely necessary.

I can't say anything about the other BI tools.

Not applicable
Author

I worked with SQL server for example, SSAS is used to build the cube and the datawaherouse, then SSRS is for Rerporting and of course SSIS in an ETL.

How things work with Qlikview? This sequence we use to build a BI project, how it is seen in Qlikview?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

In a few words...

You build logical tables in QlikView script.  These tables don't need to be reflections of the database tables, you can think of them rather as views, because they can be constructed out of multiple tables (even from multiple databases and files), records can be filtered out, calculated fields can be created.

The logical tables in QV data model are linked to each other by the fields with the same names.  There is no primary/foreign key relations in the associative data model.

More often than not you build a star data model - one Fact table and multiple Dimension tables.

Search for data modeling here, I'm sure you'll find a lot.

Again, if the data warehouse has been built already for whatever purpose, you can use it in QV.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

First of all let me point out that you can do a lot of analysis and ad-hoc, dynamic next-gen reporting with QlikView without building any Data Warehouse. But if you want to have multiple QlikView applications built for multiple areas within an organization and cross-functional and process-oriented analysis you will have a huge benefit in thinking in Data Warehousing terms and use the best of QlikView technology with best practices from Data Warehousing practices. As an example cubes are not in that category.

Q: Is it true that in QlikView we don't really need to build a datawarehouse or a datamart?

A: Yes and NO:   quick answer: you don't have to but you will often end up do the some or most of the practices anyway.

You can like with a lot of other tools ignore all data warehouse disciplines and practices and just build ad-hoc.

Most people will end up with a mess. QlikView can seem magical since you can achieve a lot in a very short

amount of time. But most real-world challenges in the BI-space have messy data and multiple sources that are

not in harmony. To be able to build the right solution with the right effort - good data quality practices needs to

be followed. In the Qlik-World they don't often refer to this as data warehousing but it really is.

Q: And when is it beneficial and important to use Datawarehouse in Qlikview and when it is not needed?

A: The more complex your analysis and reporting demands are and the more unclean and dirty your source data are, the more you need a Data Warehouse - or a Data Warehouse Discipline (but you can do it all in QlikView if you like ... or combine QlikView with other tools). The collection of QVD-layers you build together with QVW-data mart models can definitly be viewed as a complete Data Warehouse solution.

Q: If we dont use datamart or datawarehouse how to historicize data in this case?

A: You have a full documentation on how to handle both history and SCD (Slowly Changing Dimensions). But not a single reference manual. The practices aren't really built into the toolset you get with QlikView. By the way Stephen Redmonds "Mastering QlikView" is an excellent book covering a lot of these practices.

Q: And last question compared to other tools, is Qlikview the only one who you can build a BI project without the concept of datawarehouse?

A: It is an illusion to think that you can do more than relatively trivial massive data lifting, data wrangling and complex analysis and reporting without employing at least a minimal set of Data Warehousing practices. You might not refer to them as such but you need to do a certain amount of them anyway.