Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samuel_brierley
Creator
Creator

using above on an expression

Hi all,

is it possible in an expression to use above on its self? so for example my calculated field may be;

above(myfself,1)- 100

i would use an ifnull put 1000 to account for the first field being null so it would go

Calculated field

and so on

thats a very simplistic example but hopefully is enough to trigger some good ideas.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Actually you CAN directly reference the same column - but using helper columns can help you break down the challenge of creating a solution into a more stepwise approach making it easier to solve.

Look at what I have attached it is close to what you want - but I didn't quite understand all of your explanation of logic. Have a loook at it and see if you can make it work for you:

2015-10-11 #4.PNG

View solution in original post

6 Replies
lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi

if you look to create a floating dimension with no connection to the data

you can use valueloop function

=ValueLoop(1000,0,-100)

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You cannot directly reference the same column but you can achieve what you want by using an intermediate/helper column. If you need you can hide this helper column because it is not normally useful except for this particular function.

samuel_brierley
Creator
Creator
Author

i think the help column may be the way to go however im confusing myself as to how i would set that up.

ill make an attempt to explain;

abC

what i want my formula to do is starting at 1000 if column a is less than 21 AND column b is greater than 5 then minus 100, if not add 100.

C represents what the result would be

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Actually you CAN directly reference the same column - but using helper columns can help you break down the challenge of creating a solution into a more stepwise approach making it easier to solve.

Look at what I have attached it is close to what you want - but I didn't quite understand all of your explanation of logic. Have a loook at it and see if you can make it work for you:

2015-10-11 #4.PNG

samuel_brierley
Creator
Creator
Author

Brilliant thank you!!

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

My pleasure - please mark the question as answered so the thread can be closed