Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userid128223
Creator
Creator

windows command move copy to backup qvd

Hello to all the experts.

I have a daily maintenance question.

So lets say I am creating new qvd and updating existing master qvd. However before that happens I want to backup my original files in case of issues later on. However I also want to delete the backup as soon as new backup is created.

so lets say the structure is:

set vOutputPath='D:\Qlikview\Project1\';

set vBackUp='D:\Qlikview\Project1\Backup\';

Let vToday=Date(Today(1),'DD-MM-YYYY');

question here how do you copy yesterday's NewData_(yesterday_Date) into vBackup\

NewData:

Load *

From

XYZ

store NewData into vOutputPath\NewData_vToday.;

Question here is how do you delete yesterday's backup as soon as new one gets created.

General question here is also. what is best practice out there, what do expert do in real qlikview projects.

6 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can use the execute command:

execute cmd.exe /c move "D:\Qlikview\Project1\xyz.qvd" "D:\Qlikview\Project1\'Backup\"

Note, you will need to enable the option Can Execute External Programs on the Settings tab in the script editor. This is a security risk. It's up to you to decide how much risk there is and if you're willing to accept that risk.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
userid128223
Creator
Creator
Author

Excellent let me try that. and what will be command to copy, delete and create new folder. is there a refrence guide somewhere.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Press the Start button in the windows task bar. In the search box type cmd.exe and press enter. In the window that opens type help and press enter. You're now looking at the reference file for the cmd.exe executable.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
userid128223
Creator
Creator
Author

how do you handle these backups on server. do you have policy about qvd backups etc.

userid128223
Creator
Creator
Author

when you say risk what kind of risk are you talking about.

Not applicable

Hi, is a good idea to   make a .qvw file that  the only  function is to back up the qvds and qvw files  for the repository and copy it in other disc? or you recomend me to use other app to make this process?