Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amiroh81
Creator
Creator

32 BIT or 64 BIT

Hi,

I have a problem connecting to ODBC on different computers.
My computer 64Bit with  ODBC 64Bit  -the DB name is recorded differently than I make the connection with the computer 32bit and ODBC 32Bit.
The connection settings on both computers are similar .

This is the 64Bit - ODBC CONNECT TO [prod;DBQ=PROD ]

This is the 32Bit - ODBC CONNECT TO prod

. Does anyone have an idea why?
2. Is there a command that can tell whether your computer is running the model 32 or 64 Bit?

Thanks in advance

6 Replies
nitin_01
Creator
Creator

Hi amir,

Hope you have created a DSN before you access your database using appropriate ODBC driver

con1.PNG

1st statement in above image indicates that you are connecting to a 32 bit ODBC

well, 2nd statement in above image indicates that you are connecting to a 64 bit ODBC using suitable driver.

In your case I can see both connection are to 64 bit application

Hope this helps you

Regards,

Nitin.

amiroh81
Creator
Creator
Author

I will put things in order,

My computer (64Bit) with ODBC 64Bit I Connect withe the follow string : ODBC CONNECT TO [prod;DBQ=PROD ]

when i try to connect differnt computer (32Bit) and ODBC 32Bit i got error when i try to connect'

if i change the syntax to ODBC CONNECT TO prod  its run properly (without changing to CONNECT32)

the problem is with the syntax of the DB name.

what do you think?

thanks

nitin_01
Creator
Creator

Well you are saying that you are connecting to same database in a 32 bit system is it?

how much bit is your database and have you created a DSN in that system?

Regards.

amiroh81
Creator
Creator
Author

Yes to both questions

nitin_01
Creator
Creator

what bit database you are using 64 or 32 bit?

because a 64 bit database cannot work in your 32 bit system, so you need to check that first in order to avoid your issue

Regards,

Nitin.

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

When Is the ODBC Interface Needed?

To access a general database, it is necessary to have the ODBC (Open DataBase Connectivity) interface

1. installed. The alternative is to export data from the database into a file that is readable to QlikView.

Normally some ODBC drivers are installed with the operating system. Additional drivers can be bought from

software retailers, found on the Internet or delivered from the DBMS manufacturer. Some drivers are redistributed

1. Freely.

The ODBC interface described here is the interface on the client computer. If the plan is to use ODBC to

access a multi-user relational database on a network server, additional DBMS software that allows a client to

access the database on the server might be needed. Contact the DBMS supplier for more information on the

software needed.

QlikView works with both 32-bit and 64-bit ODBC drivers. It is however very important to use the corresponding

versions of the ODBC drivers and the program version. The 32-bit version of QlikView will only

work with the 32-bit ODBC drivers. However, the 64-bit version will work with both 32-bit and 64-bit

ODBC drivers.

Is the Correct ODBC Driver Installed?

On a 64-bit platform it is possible to use both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. It is also possible to run both

32-bit and 64-bit ODBC drivers.

When using the 64-bit versions of ODBC and QlikView, the ODBC Data Source Administrator is found in

the Control Panel, Administrative Tools.

When using the 32-bit versions of ODBC and QlikView, you must start the 32-bit administrator via the

executable file, odbcad32.exe, which is located in the SysWOW64 folder, usually c:\windows\SysWOW64.

According to Microsoft, in the 64-bit versions of the operating systems, the system32 folder, usually c:\windows\

system32, contains only 64-bit files. If there is also a 32-bit version of the file, it resides in the syswow64

1. folder. See http://technet.microsoft.com for more information.

On a 32-bit operating system the configuration is very straightforward since all files and drivers are 32-bit.

There should be an ODBC Data Source Administrator installed on the system. (For 32-bit ODBC on a 64-

bit operating system start odbcad32.exe).

Go to the ODBC Drivers tab to find out what drivers are installed.

The ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog, Drivers tab.

If the driver needed is not found on the ODBC Drivers tab, contact the software supplier to obtain the correct

1. driver.

Creating ODBC Data Sources

An ODBC data source must be created for the database you wish to access. This can be done during the

ODBC installation or at a later stage.

Before the start of creating data sources, a decision must be made whether they should be user or system data

1. sources. User data sources cannot be reached unless the correct user id was used when logging on. To share

the data sources with other users, system data sources must be created.

1. 1. Open the ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog again.
  2. 2. Go to the tab User DSN to create user data sources, or to the tab System DSN to create system data
  3. sources.
  4. 3. Click the Add button. The Add Data Source dialog should appear, showing a list of the ODBC drivers
  5. installed.
  6. 4. If the correct ODBC driver is listed, select it and click the OK button. A dialog specific to the

selected database driver will appear. Name the data source and set the necessary parameters. Click the

OK button when ready.

HTH Andy