cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zoroo90
Contributor
Contributor

Qliksense vs Qlikview vs PowerBI

I used Qlikview for about 3-4 years and it was very powerful. It met almost all requirements we needed. The scripting and language was fast and intuitive. The only issue that it had was for end users, using it in the browser was slow and the visuals became a little dated. Using it on the desktop was significantly faster.

I started to look into Qliksense, and they basically went all in on browser technologies. It looked faster and more modern, until you start to develop in it. That's where it became a pain. They moved the speed of development (scripting and loading data) and made it slow, so that it became faster for the end user in the browser. The qliksense desktop app is nothing more than a browser.

I gave up on Qliksense to try Power BI ... which looked like it had all the benefits as Qlikview and none of the drawbacks... and it was an utter failure too. Power BI was such a immature product (couldn't take care of 3/4ths of the Qlikview features) and was exponentially slower to develop for (scripting is slow, any change you make takes minutes to update etc). And sure enough, you look into it, and a lot more "web" technologies are underneath PowerBI.

So my question is, is this what we are left with? Slow, laborious, report creating? Is there a better product out there that doesn't fall into the same problems? Is Tableau any better?

1 Reply
marcus_sommer

I could not remember noticing that using the ajax-client was significantly slower as within the desktop client. By using the IE plugin it may occur because all the rendering work happens now within the browser - also the amount of transferred data should be higher. But really significantly it should be only in rather seldom scenarios.

How well it performed within the access point is mostly related to the server resources and configurations. Here are a lot of scenarios thinkable which may decrease the performance quite heavily. Starting by physically hardware which may not suitable like previous AMD opteron-server which cores needed longer to communicate to each other as do to the calculations. Also RAM optimizing or encryption or similar features could become performance killer.

The next may be any virtual layers like the classically VM which standard-settings usually not really fit to QlikView. Further with the server configurations, the used web-server, proxies, load-balancers, server objects, security tools/rules and so on … and of course might the server just be under-sized for the number of applications and users.

Within a "normal" environment I would expect the exact opposite of your described behaviour because usually are the server much bigger sized as the local machines and if the system isn't working on their resource-limits it should be significantly faster as the desktop.

- Marcus